Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you guys diving in drysuits? What's water temp? Cold on boat?
My LoB was 23-30th of November. Our group leader had another group in the same route the week before (16 to 23rd). He told us during the first trip that water temperatures were unusually high (28-29oC), so we could dive/survive with shorties or 3mm.
Luckily, I didn't listen to him and I brought my 5mm Long John (on top of my 3mm).
North cool winds were blowing all these days and together with some clouds lowered topside and water temperatures few degrees. All our dives were in water temperatures of 25-27oC.
I did only my first dive with the 3mm. For the rest, I was very comfortable with my 5mm Long John.
The only timeσ I felt being tortured was donning my wet wetsuit for the night or early morning dives.

Topside during the day I was comfortable with shorts and t-shirt. During the night and early morning though I needed a fleece jacket and sometimes I wished I had socks or something for the legs.

My first trip to Egypt was in July. The second was in January. The difference in air and sea temperatures caught me off-guard and unprepared. This was a long time ago when information about dive destinations (and everything else!) wasn't readily available online. Seems unbelievable now.

I remember my first trip to the Red Sea one January (1983)
- lying in my bunk trying to get warm between dives - and I was using a 7mm semidry! Drysuit in winter from then on for me.

I remember my first trip to the Red Sea one January - lying in my bunk trying to gert warm between dives - and I was using a 7mm semidry! Drysuit in winter from then on for me .

Was it the water temp that got to you or being wet in the biting wind?

Absent a dry suit, a warm shower and a hot drink help when you are doing multiple dives in cooler water.

Absent a dry suit, a warm shower and a hot drink help when you are doing multiple dives in cooler water.
Unfortunately, hot showers are a no-no when diving, especially multiple dives

Unfortunately, hot showers are a no-no when diving, especially multiple dives
I've done warm showers on a couple of boats, but did not realize this was not advised. Would be helpful to hear more about the reasons...

I've done warm showers on a couple of boats, but did not realize this was not advised. Would be helpful to hear more about the reasons...
Start another discussion thread asking the question(s) about the topic you want to know more about.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom