Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serious? It absolutely was in tourist areas.
Read again what wrote and look at where Sinai is.
... non of this was in the tourist areas by the cost in mainland Egypt but Sinai.
Sinai and specifically the border region to Israel and Gaza had issue in the past. The Sinai peninsula is not the same area as the tourists area where all the resorts and habours for the liveaboard are between El Gouna and Marsa Alam. I don't know if there ever even was a single shooting or terror attack ever in this area.
I said very early in the thread I probably would to to Sinai right now.

And if you think I was calling that region dangerous then you have reading comprehension issues.
Here:
Security is better now but it's a dangerous region, there are lots of terrorist groups, and you can never know the timings or intentions of them.

The discussion was about the risk due to war/terrorism not random crime.
What difference does it make if someone gets killed by a random shooting or a terror attack? It's not like of of these options doesn't suck.

There have also been incidents in Hurghada. What is concerning for tourists is that tourists were specifically targeted.
The discussion was about the risk due to war/terrorism not random crime.

If someone is only interested in the mainland there was no need to respond to my post.
The thread was about going to Hurghada and going on a liveaboard and people keep bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with the question. What does a bombing 20 years ago in Taba has to do with anything? Should I not go to Boston in 2023 because of the 9/11 attacks?

Hurghada is probably fine. I would go. It's not ridiculous to worry about terrorism but the Egyptian government doesn't seem to me to want involvement in the current troubles. I don't think they, nor local authorities around tourist draws, would tolerate those businesses being disrupted.

This reminds me of people being afraid to go to parts of Mexico due to cartel violence. So maybe I am biased but I'm from a border town and speak Spanish and have lived in Mexico so it just sounded absurd to me to hear those fears.

Hearing this admittedly different scenario, I am drawn to my own experiences in warzones. I can tell you flat out, your diveboat isn't going to be hyjacked by Egyptians or Arabs or Palestinians or Somalians or Houthis and nobody is going to bother you going from the airport to the dive resort in a private vehicle driven by an Egyptian. You have absolutely nothing to fear from drones or cruise missiles if you are on a dive boat in the Red Sea.

However....

You may want to carefully evaluate protocols for dealing with Dengue fever if you get it. There may be an outbreak around Hugahda right now. Two divers, that I know of, got it during their post-dive surface interval prior to flying while staying at a seaside hotel in Hurgahda.

I just got back from a trip to Egypt that ran Oct 16 to 31.
Some in our group arrived in Egypt Oct 1, before the events of Oct 7.

Those who were in country early saw absolutely no difference in security levels after Oct 7.

During our Liveaboard and during the land portion of our trip, at no point did we feel at all unsafe with respect to events unfolding in Gaza, Sudan, Yemen, etc.

Had a great trip!

I canceled my trip to Maine. Far too dangerous. More than 60 injured and 22 killed by a random shooter. Someone was shot outside my hotel in NOLA. I've never seen this needed in any other country (reverse side of my DEMA badge):

Attachments

• IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 63
I canceled my trip to Maine. Far too dangerous. More than 60 injured and 22 killed by a random shooter. Someone was shot outside my hotel in NOLA. I've never seen this needed in any other country (reverse side of my DEMA badge):
It's fairly easy to get a CCW permit in Maine. In fact you might not even need a permit there. I'm surprised he got so far. I don't think it's exactly appropriate to this thread though. I see where you're going with it. English cops don't carry firearms and kids go around stabbing eachother everyday.

It's fairly easy to get a CCW permit in Maine. In fact you might not even need a permit there. I'm surprised he got so far. I don't think it's exactly appropriate to this thread though. I see where you're going with it. English cops don't carry firearms and kids go around stabbing eachother everyday.
slight overstatement there on UK stabbings, there are stabbings in the UK and it is a problem however with a death rate of only 0.08 per 100,000 people, the United Kingdom has one of the lowest stabbing death rates in the world and compares very favourably to gun deaths in the USA which come it 13.6 per 100,000 albeit 50% of these are suicide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom