Eel bites man's thumb off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. The guy was working on a liveaboard boat with his ex girlfriend as videographer. It is his ex-girlfriend who shoot the video.

The eel is famous for that divesite and is in fact still there. I have sadly heard that some divers started to feed it again last season. Let's hope that practice has stopped now so no more thumbs get lost.

I dunno, I feel sorry for the ell being taunted, but it's useful information seeing a diver without a digit...I know who to avoid underwater. :rofl3:

This post is old, can we close it so no one else eel-aborates?

yea they did a great job with the cosmetics of the reco. surgery. That idiot won't be screwin with eels any more. Karma is a cold hearted b!*ch!!

Internet bunk.

An Eel's mouth and teeth are made for grasping and swallowing. The simply do not cut and tear... they are incapable due to their mouth and teeth set-up.

If you want to see a thumb shorn off, ask a Shark how they do it. Inscicors, sawing by thrashing. Eels teeth are needle sharp, like a cat's claw, and they are curve angles towards their gullet. They are designed for holding and assisting in the swallowing- nothing more.

An Eel is simply not equipped for this kind of performance.

If you want further proof, look at it the way the experts in video analysis do. It goes from perfect photography to very amateurish stuff. Kind of understandable, experts aren't along 24/7. But....

0-4 seconds: The camera is seemingly haphazardly & amateurishly "pointed the wrong way" (to the right) filming nothing, then- after the "off screen bite" (and appropriate sub-title explanation),

5-7 seconds: the very amateur videographer then manages (under the influence of stress & panic?) to fill his frame perfectly for 2 seconds with the encounter...

7-12 seconds: then somehow the camera swings away again- this time to the left... and remains motionless for at least three seconds.

Sure.

Word is that it was an industrial accident (compressor or outboard?) and a dive instructor made the best story he could- right there in a video camera.

Rant over- Carry on now disregarding the bio-mechanical impossibility of an Eel severing a human thumb.

I was bitten last year by a black spotted moray in Grand Cayman.I wasn't feeding it or sticking my hand in holes in the coral.It came from a void in a coral head about 2 feet away while I was coaxing an Arrow Crab to turn around for a better picture and shredded my left index finger.The wounds looked like they were made by a surgical scalpel.The cuts were down to the bone and also scrapped the bone,it took two long courses of anti-biotics to rid myself of the infection and finally the wound healed very well.

Not that this has any relevance to this thread just wated to share.

This is so typical of some hotdog who can't just dive and not touch anything. Good enough for him. He's polution in the gene pool.

DougieL is your post refering to my post about being bitten?

No, I doubt he was talking about you.

He just watched the video, didn't read the thread, and believed the fairy tale.

It's fun, why not? Such urban internet legends feed off of similar things that make our brains happy. Read a bit of www.snopes2.com and their explanations of mythology propagation and you'll see why this mental popcorn is so inviting and yummy.

Back
Top Bottom