Eel bites man's thumb off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc I hear you!! The thing when I was bitten was that the Eel actually bit me twice in a "nano" second I had deep cuts down to the bone going both down and across my finger yet my finger was not "bitten off" just badly shredded.I am not sure which was the first or second bite.I have to agree with your assessment of a Moray bite,having been "lucky" enough to have first hand experience (That was meant as a bad pun).

In Cayman when I was first starting recreational diving (back before compressed air), I watched intently as a visiting Australian diver fed an eel. He was using a tin can for safety.

After he got bit, I learned that you were supposed to tape a stick to the can and not be holding it.

On land, when he was getting first aid, we were all educated by the medic as to the real danger of Eel bites- the bad oral hygiene of these critters! The infection from their not flossing will kill'ya.

Of course, this goes back to a day when we had lanyards on the cans of aerosol cheese.

I was bitten last year by a black spotted moray in Grand Cayman.I wasn't feeding it or sticking my hand in holes in the coral.It came from a void in a coral head about 2 feet away while I was coaxing an Arrow Crab to turn around for a better picture and shredded my left index finger.The wounds looked like they were made by a surgical scalpel.The cuts were down to the bone and also scrapped the bone,it took two long courses of anti-biotics to rid myself of the infection and finally the wound healed very well.

Not that this has any relevance to this thread just wated to share.

Geez man, got any before or after pics?

sounds super painful!

Okay, so I had seen this thread and dismissed it until tonight. I'm watching Spike's "World's Most Amazing Video's" and guess what comes on....this story! So, is this fake and they were duped too?

Said Matt has been feeding this eel for something like 18 months prior to this incident somewhere in Thialand.

Fact or Fiction?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom