Edmund Fitzgerald side scan images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may be hung-up on the concept of "degree". Allow someone to collect a few pellets and someone else may see this as an open invitation to dredge the site for pre-processed iron ore.
Although the Fitz has the largest amount of iron ore on the lake bottom, there are other wrecks that would be a better choice to salvage. The Fitz carried taconite which is a muddy version of iron ore. You could equal the the tonnage and value by finding either the wrecks of the HB Smith or Henry Steinbrenner (neither have been located, but Steinbrenner sank in 800'), which either equals or surpasses the Fitz cargo value by carrying a very pure grade ore. Plus iron is still readily available so you won't get much. Wrecks like the Coburn, Keystone State, D. Richmond, have a very high cargo value on it.

The 1987 expedition, 96, 98

So let's just leave the taconite where it is...

---------- Post Merged at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

The 1987 expedition, 96, 98

No, wait, wasn't that the French?

The RMS TITANIC Inc. is formed by an international group of
businessmen anxious to see the Titanic's remains preserved.
In cooperation with the French National
Institute for Research and Exploration of the Sea (IFREMER), TITANIC Inc.
conducts research and recovery expeditions to the wreck site in
1987, 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1998.
Some 5,000 artifacts have been recovered, including a large
piece of the hull (known as the
"Big
Piece"
), and are being preserved.

-Never mind all that, I must have been thinking of when the Russians hit it bigtime in '91...

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Oops, they didn't recover any artifacts. They collected "specimens" on that expedition. Nevermind.

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Whole point being, give an inch and someone will take a mile...

-said my piece, I'm done.

A very interesting and civil discussion. The "Fitzgerald" is deep enough that the average sport diver won't be going to it anyway, but I sincerely value the discussion in this context.
Okay, one other item, and no, I'm not a necrophiliac, but have the bodies been photographed and documented or identified? I've heard reference to them, but never seen uh..., "evidence". Just wondering.

Fred Shannon photographed the first body off the wreck in 94. The image was seen by a few divers, but you could stare at the picture all day and still not see the remains. The coast guard or other searchers did find the crew members blasted down the stairwell of the pilothouse. Supposedly in the investigations video the codename "lights" is used. "look at the lights" was the bodies down the stairwell. The Goodyears remains are all sitting in the stern fantail.

Hey all,

I know its been years since this thread was posted but it appears the images have disappeared. Can anyone repost them and have there been any new images taken of the wreak since then? Curious with tech these days if we can get a more detailed view of the wreck.

A quick search by Google shows the 2002 side scan. A wreck hunting couple went out there in 2017 (turns out the coordinates are about 1/2 mile off) and did some side scan. The images taken were not worth taking pictures of as the unit was too high off bottom. However the Down Scan image was pretty decent but I cannot find them at the moment. Acoustically nothing has changes onsite. The deck is still there and the mast is still standing. And its 531' to the bottom now not 529'!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom