Edmund Fitzgerald side scan images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided to cause a little hubabaloo with these images, they were taken not long ago by some guys who did some testing with their new sonar. I hope to be going out in few weeks and show the Canadains that they do not have full control over the wreck.
Jared
efg1.jpg
1468_showcase_project_detail_item.jpeg

WHAT gov't control?

Got this off of Wikipedia:

An April 2005 amendment to the Ontario Heritage Act allowed the Ontario government to impose a license requirement on dives, the operation of submersibles, side scan sonars or underwater cameras within a designated radius around protected sites.[89][90] Conducting any of those activities without a license would result in fine of up to CA$1 million.[91] On the basis of the amended law, to protect wreck sites considered "watery graves", the Ontario government issued updated regulations in January 2006, including an area with a 500-meter (1,640 ft) radius around the Fitzgerald and other specifically designated marine archeological sites.[92][93] In 2009, a further amendment to the Ontario Heritage Act imposed licensing requirements on any type of surveying device.

The problem with that exclusion zone of 500M, is that it only applicable in Canadian waters. There is a possibility that the bow of the Fitz actually lies in American waters by 100+ feet, negating the Canadian law. As for the side scan, I can set the range in known American waters and still detail the wreck. My biggest complaint is how the Canadians have the nerve to restrict access to 3 American wrecks (Fitz, Hamilton, and Scourage). A few of the guys will run out there and see if she does touch American bottomland. A few divers have illegally dove her since 06' but I don't know whom.

The intent is to respect the final resting place of the American crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Ironically, we dive the Brunswick, Carlingford, Dean Richmond, John J. Boland, etc., etc., etc. (the list goes on, and on, and on), all which claimed lives in their sinking....

So, why the "double standard"?

Nice sidescan images. Looks like the sea state (lake state) wasn't perfectly flat (as there is some distortion), but a very nice image nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom