Edmund Fitzgerald side scan images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Stan, good to see you here.

I'll try to get Jitka to get a screen-snap of that. Next year will be a winner! We've got the time booked.

Coming to the Shipwrecks and Technology show the weekend after next? Jitka and I are speaking, and I expect she might place in the photo contest too.

Dave

Etruria01 LF.jpgEtruria02 LF.jpgEtruria03 LF.jpg

Here are a few images of the Etruria shipwreck by Presque Isle, MI... the third image shows us turning in a distance and we could still see the shipwreck though at that distance it started creating echos... still pretty amazing!

How did you manage to get the numbers? John Steele hit her back in the 90s but she was 300ft down. Isn't this the one NOAA rediscovered in 2011?

I was onboard with NOAA for the Sony project shiphunt searching for the Choctaw and we found the Etruria and the Merrick instead. We were using a new multi beam sonar and found both wrecks the same day. I have been looking for the Choctaw since 1990. The Sony shiphunt show aired on current TV last fall.

I saw the Multibeam, if what I saw was the actual original image, I'd take a side scan any day. Hope you find her next summer. Clifton shouldn't be that far away.

Somebody collected taconite pellets from the wreck and has since faced legal reprocussions. THis strikes me a plainly stupid. Taconite ore was the ship's cargo, not a personal artifact. If it was a crew member's watch or shoe, I could better understand, but a rock? Really?

Somebody collected taconite pellets from the wreck and has since faced legal reprocussions. THis strikes me a plainly stupid. ...//...

You may be hung-up on the concept of "degree". Allow someone to collect a few pellets and someone else may see this as an open invitation to dredge the site for pre-processed iron ore.

there is a difference, there are members of the crew still on the wreck of the Fitz and they are quite recognizable and in fairly easy access. (or as easy as it gets at 500 on a wreck)

Then you have strong feelings with diving nearly every wreck in the Great Lakes, the vast majority of which went down with total loss of life. The 1800's wrecks had a nearly complete history of 100% casualties. Many other later wrecks are the same. There's no difference between us diving the Carl D Bradley and diving on the Fitz.

It's certainly in the range of accessable wrecks, but would be a challenge thermally. Comparing it to the dives done in Grand Cayman is like comparing the Andrea Doria to the Speigal Grove.

The scalloping of the straight lines on her hull gunwales is caused by variations in towfish depth casued by sea state, possibly made worse by not having the fish deep enough, or towing too slow to reduce cable layback (likely done because the umbilical is too short to tow at the correct depth/speed). Result? The fish depth varies, and the scalloped image is the result. Fix: Calmer Days, or tow faster using a longer umbilical so that the catenary of the umbilical soaks up the surges of vessel motion.

Not that we've ever done any of the above... ;-)

Deep water is a challenge to small boat sidescan. At 450 KHz you can see reliably about 200 meters to each side, and the altitude above bottom should be 10% of the range. That means that you should be flying the fish at about 60 feet above the bottom. That's not really possible using lightweight (hand deployable, IE: not armored stainless steel cable) umbilical, even at three knots. Bottom line is that to look that deep with hand deployed umbilical, you need to have the fish hanging essentially straight down from the boat, meaning that you need to tow at nearly zero speed, where wave action really can begin to dominate the image. The bottom line is that you can look (sort of) but you cannot search an area using a system set up like that. The alternative is to use a longer and heaviier armored umbilical (smaller diameter, negatively bouyant, but not hand-deployable), and that means a powered reel... not something that most people have access to. Jitka and I do have one, and we run a Klein 3000 with both 100 KHZ and 450 KHZ transducers running at the same time. At 100 KHZ`we can look 1000 meters on each side... that's 1 KM, and we only need to put the fish down 200 feet to search in 500 feet of water. With 200 meters of armored stainless steel coaxial cable we can run that at 8 knots. That cable length lets us soak up boat motion with cable catenary. We do have a powered reel to haul it all back aboard though. GOOD LUCK hand-deploying a fish at the end of 200 meters of armored cable. Deep-water Sidecan stuff is expensive: Powered reels alone start at $10K.... without umbilical.

Not bad shots to start with. Looks like probably a Marine Sonic unit at 450 KHZ?

We are giving a talk at the Shipwreck and Technology symposium in Muskegon in a few weeks, and will be discussing sidescan in detail. Come and visit.

From Grapnel Hooks and Double Hose Regulators to Sidescan Sonar and Mixed Gas Rebreathers | shipwrecksandtechnolgy.org

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom