Editing software...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curious what you guys are using...

The new DC1000 doesn't come with any editing software. That's OK, the stuff that came with the DC800 was KLUDGE anyway, and if SeaLife is going to cut costs on something I would much rather it be by discontinuing including cruddy photo editing software that I have to pay for and will never use.

The new DC1000 disk is quite funny... they include "links" to Photo editing software as if that were an actual feature. Still, I don't mind them cutting out the software at all...

I use the following (Mac person here)

I use iPhoto as my "organizer", and I do my main editing in Capture NX software from Nikon.

If I need to use the channel mixer feature I use PhotoShop CS3 but that's about all I use CS3.

I take a LOT of pictures, and only about 2 percent of my stuff is underwater, so I have kind of just carried over my surface workflow to my UW stuff.

What are you doing, how are you doing it and do you like it?

Similar. I drop the memory card into the reader on my laptop and pull them in using the photo organizer that comes with Vista. Then any editing is done in PS Elements. No need to clutter up the hard drive even more. I did the same when I had the DC500.

adobe photoshop 7

Look for Gimp (GNU image manipulation program) It's about as powerful as the adobe products for 99% of what you will be doing with one big diff... It's open source. (Free of charge) there are ports for PC and MAC if you haven't used a higher level editor it may take a bit of getting used to. However there are some great help articles out there.

Good luck.

I use Lightroom for 99% of what I do. For recovering old photos, it doesn't handle scratches well, but for everything else, it does everything including web pages and slide shows. I have pretty much replaced Photoshop and only use Lightroom now.

I need photo editing for dummies. I have two main problems:

1. don't know enough about editing terminology to do a decent job
2. I just don't have the patience to sit and tweak things

I just started using GIMP and so far so good. It's taking some getting used to but not bad.

I just started using GIMP and so far so good. It's taking some getting used to but not bad.

It does take some getting used to. If you want to click one button to remove red eye it's not the best program. There are a bunch of add-ons however that can help automate or enhance what you want to do. Oh and it's FREE!

Similar. I drop the memory card into the reader on my laptop and pull them in using the photo organizer that comes with Vista. Then any editing is done in PS Elements. No need to clutter up the hard drive even more. I did the same when I had the DC500.
The free Elements? Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition I use that one on all daytime, non-diving photos. Love it. I run them all thru on Auto fix, Replace all - great! I think it is lousy on night photos tho, and don't like it as much for dive pics. I've looked at their other PS being offered for sale, Coral, and free Gimp but have not felt up to learning those - and they all have a learning curve.

For night photos, cave pics, and diving, I've been learning http://www.irfanview.com/, and kinda like it. It does have an auto fix feature if desired. It certainly can increase the resolution.

Once I finish editing, uploading to Photoworks, etc - but before I upload to Scubaboard Photo Gallery, use an attached thumb here, or store on hard drive, I like to reduce size to 1024x768 and reduce resolution. I use Microsoft Image Sizer for that - so easy.

You do need to know computers, not just be bluffing like so many do. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom