Ecologic Divers - Trip Report August 8-20, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove with Ecologic Divers for a two week period this August and want to provide some feedback on my experience. Since this is a slower part of the year for the Caribbean, I decided not to prebook my dives, but rather see the shop first and decide how I felt. I did e-mail Ecologic beforehand to learn a little more about their shop. Since the reviews for them had generally been favorable, I didn’t have any concerns.

Ecologic Divers was very flexible with me. I made my decision to dive on a day-by-day basis. I opened up a tab by leaving a credit card imprint which I then settled at the end of my stay. I dove mostly two-tank morning dives. I was asked to show up at 8:30am so that we could get our gear set up for the 9am dive. Ecologic’s boats are equipped with first aid kits, oxygen, and camera tanks. If you have a camera and let them know, they will fill the camera tank with water for you. After we boarded the boat, the divemaster gave a safety briefing about the safety features of the boat. We then proceeded to the reef. Before we passed through the reef channel, we were asked to get our fins and masks ready. One of the assistants on the boat then offered to rinse our masks for us. They had defogger on board for those who needed it. We then went out to the dive site.

The divemaster then gave a briefing of the dive site. In general the dives were 35-40 minutes plus a safety stop. The divemaster repeatedly told us to not touch any sea life and to watch our fins. The emphasis was on preserving the dive sites for the future. We then entered the water via a backroll entry. We then descended and waited at the mooring line until everyone was in the water. We then followed the lead of the divemaster until the end of the dive. The divemaster pointed out various creatures on the way. There is a lionfish problem in Belize so the divemaster would carry a spearing kind of device to kill them if they appeared. They emphasized that the lionfish is not native to the waters and it this breed is threatening the survival of the other fish.

At the end of the dive, we surfaced. Since the dives were drift dives, the boat would come to pick us up. The boat captain threw a line into the water to make it easier to approach the boat in the presence of current. After we boarded the boat, the boat captain handed us hot towels…a nice treat!

We then returned to the dock for the surface interval. Ecologic provided fruit, chips, salsa, and lemonade or a similar beverage. After the interval, we repeated the process for the second dive. We were usually back by 12:30pm.

All of the divemasters and boat captains were extremely friendly. The front desk staff was extremely helpful in arranging things. They even arranged an all day trip up to the northern part of Ambergris Caye where we did two dives, had lunch, and a third dive.

The overall diving was good. Visibility was good (70 feet or so). The fish life was the standard Caribbean types of fish with one notable exception….I saw my first Manta Ray!

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with Ecologic. The only shortfall from my perspective is the short dive times. I believe 35-40 minutes is just too short. Ecologic was very upfront about the dive times. There was no surprise per se. They did work with me and got me into the water early so I could get a few minutes more bottom time. Nevertheless, I came up with a lot of air. When you combine that with a shorter surface interval, the second dive can be a bit tricky. I felt I had to really manage my first dive more aggressively so I could get more bottom time during the second dive. Ecologic does offer Nitrox which would have enabled me to stay deeper for the second dive but 35-40 minutes for a standard dive is still too short. I believe the average dive should be at least 50 minutes. It is for this reason alone that I did not give them the highest rating possible.

Would I dive with Ecologic again? Probably. Overall they were very fun to dive with and very environmentally conscious. The only thing that would keep me from diving with them again is the short dive times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

There was another Ecologic Divers trip report a couple of months ago that had the same issue with timed dives. I dug up the link:

Dive Op Report: Ecologic Divers

Comparing the two reports, it sounds as though ED's dives are getting even shorter.

Thanks for posting that info. I guess it's a pattern. I feel 50 minutes followed by a safety stop is reasonable for dives. Sure, if everyone is running low on air then things may have to change but 35-40 minutes seems too short.

We were looking at Ecologic as our dive op for a trip in October. If they just do short dives, off the list. Too much money spent getting/staying there for short dives.

No offense to jlevine, but I dropped them an email to confirm his post. I will be sure to post Ecologic's reply to this thread.

Thanks for posting that info. I guess it's a pattern. I feel 50 minutes followed by a safety stop is reasonable for dives. Sure, if everyone is running low on air then things may have to change but 35-40 minutes seems too short.

I don't know about Ecologic, but I think you'll find quite a few dive operators (not just or even primarily in Belize) allow 45 mins including safety stop. The way they plan out their usage of boats and crew they have no option. In the Florida Keys a while ago I never surfaced more than 45 mins after I got in, and that wasn't my choice.

In my own dive center (now closed) I rarely imposed time limits, unless on the boat I had a mixture of novices and experienced divers and waters were rough (something I always tried to avoid). It's unreasonable to expect novices to sit on a bucking and rolling boat for 30 mins+ so that experienced divers can finish their long dive. I only know one operator here that pretty consistently has that same philosophy.

...but I think you'll find quite a few dive operators (not just or even primarily in Belize) allow 45 mins including safety stop. The way they plan out their usage of boats and crew they have no option....

Peter,

I agree with the last part of the portion of this statement. If a shop wants to run four daytime dives with the *same* crew, you may very well be correct. When you factor time to get to the dive site, the dive time (entry, bottom time, reboarding), return to the dive site and surface interval, I can see why they do it. But what does this mean for the customer?

To compare another island, Roatan, the dive shop I use only runs three dives during the day (9am, 11:30am, and 2pm). Dive times are 50 minutes followed by a safety stop with a one hour surface interval. Yes, that's potentially less revenue for the shop but the dive times and surface interval lengths make for a better dive experience from my perspective. When the morning dive departure times (as with Ecologic) are approximately 9am and 11am, you don't have that option.

jsl

No offense to jlevine, but I dropped them an email to confirm his post. I will be sure to post Ecologic's reply to this thread.

No offense taken! I pulled up the e-mail I received from Ecologic about their operations in response to my initial inquiry. Here is my question and their response:

"In terms of the dive time, is there a standard length you aim for or do you base the dive time by air consumption?

The bottom time is about 40 to 45 min"

So, I knew that the time was a little shorter, but to hear the DM say 35-40 minutes made it still even shorter. The person who responded to my inquiry is not a diver so there may be a disconnect between the administrator and the DMs.

I'm guessing the administrator may be counting the safety stop as part of the bottom time. Which is how I log my dives in my dive log, since my computer tells me the total time from submersion until I'm back within 3' of the surface.

But what I log in my dive log is not what I actually care about as a diver. :) If there is a section of reef to explore during the safety stop, then the safety stop is also "fun time". But if the reef is at 60', then the safety stop is just that - for safety and not "fun time". Maybe the administrator wasn't making any distinction - just how long has the computer said the diver was in the water?

I just came back from San Pedro where i dove with Ecologic and Amigos.
I have never had a problem with the dive time. We did 1 dive with Ecologic and 8 dives with Amigos.
It was anything from 45 minutes on deeper dives to 60 minutes. And honestly I have never heard any complaints from people I happened to dive with.
When I talked to others on the boat about their remaining air, pretty much everybody was in same range of PSI after our dives.
BTW, We never had a dive shorter than 45 minutes.
The night dive in Hol Chan was about 65 minutes (with Amigos).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom