Ecologic Divers - Trip Report August 8-20, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even in the Florida keys, and I've only been there a few times and that was ages ago, so I certainly didn't sample all operators, no dives were restricted to less than 45 mins boat-boat. But they measure that time as starting when they say people can jump in and ending with everyone back on the boat, de-kitted and sitting down.

I once (at Key Largo) had an insta-buddy who was unbelievably slow in getting ready, so we finally jumped into the water a full 10 minutes after the last other person. Then he took an age on the surface swim up the boat to the mooring line, which was where we were to go down. Once he arrived at the mooring buoy he told me he couldn't go on. He looked dreadful, so I spent the next 7 or 8 minutes towing him back to the ladder, where the boat crew took over. THEN I started my dive. I had been down barely 20 minutes when the recall signal sounded. A prudent diver never ignores the recall signal, even if he has a strong suspicion what's behind it, so back up to the boat I went. Everyone else was aboard, and the crew made it very clear I was holding up the entire operation.

To be fair to the crew, they had a draconian schedule imposed on them, and if they failed to meet it they were simply fired. But they showed their understanding and gratitude by inviting me on several more dives that week, unofficially and with no paperwork or money going through the office. Two of those dives were particularly memorable - well, one was barely memorable, as it was a night dive that concluded with lots of free beers afterwards as we slowly cruised home. The other was testing out a potential instructor, but I'll leave that one till later.

I don't know of any dive operation here that imposes a time limit of less than 45 minutes, which is measured from when the divers submerge. And several impose no time limit at all - I have had dives on the standard Blue Hole trip lasting 1hr 20mins, and my longest local dive with another operator has been 1.5 hours (my longest with my own operation was just under 3hrs, but that's another story). But remember that sea conditions and experience levels always have a bearing, sometimes quite considerable.

Well, if Peter and Gaz agree on something then their point of view is definitely worth considering. :D

LOL Yes not often Peter and I agree on something so when we do its certainly a strong case LOL:D

But I have a question for both of you or any other operator that wants to chime in: did you ever impose a time limit of only 35 minutes on routine dives? I bet not, but if you did how did that go ever with your customers?

NEVER

I was considerate and sensitive to experienced divers and tried my best to ensure they could get longer bottom times simply because when I go diving my pet peeve is the same thing dumped on a boat with beginners and thats exatly what happened when I was diving in the keys one time, I signed up for the advanced boat when I got to the divesite I was on a beginners boat as they did not have enough for the other boat but neglected to tell me prior to leaving.

As for my comment about divers not giving a Rats ass peter was right (did I actually say peter was right :D) I was overstating the fact and was in agreement that divers who are paying money have every right to get what they pay for and that is value for money and if they want long bottom times and are paying they should get it (within safety limits of course)

The biggest thing I can advise divers is to communicate with the dive shop about your requirements I cant tell you how many divers I took diving, never said a word about little things that could of easily been corrected if they had mentioned it to me but instead they remained silent for the week and then posted on a dive message board.

As for Ecologic i have sent quite a few divers to them via my website and in there defense have only had positive comments back from my divers and Ian one of te owners seems to make every effort to accomodate his divers but I certainly agree 35 minutes is short for a dive but if it was me I would be having a quiet word in the boss's ear and telling him what I expect when I am paying for my dives.

I really think any dive shop worth its salt will listen to there dive guests and accomodate them.

Gaz

Ok...well the one dive you did with Hol Chan is pretty much inline with what I said timewise. I am not familiar with Amigos. Any chance you can write up a trip report? I would sincerely like to hear about your experience with them. Thanks, Ertes!

I think your write up is one of the best I have seen and if you change ED to Amigos it would be equally true.
If you dove with ED than you were just a minute walk from Amigos. They are next to each other.
I started with ED but they did not have a trip to Blue Hole so they called Amigos to book me there. However when you sit on a boat for 5 hours with other divers you make some friends you wanna dive with or have drinks after. Therefore I stayed with Amigos for the rest of my trip. (Kinda felt bad... a bit). My DM was Renee (Pappo) and he was excellent! He took care of us on the boat, UW, everywhere. It was a pleasure to dive with him. After each dive we left our gear with them and it was rinsed and dry the next day, ready and assembled on the boat by 8:30AM.

At ED I dove with Marcos who was equally excellent DM. The Hol Chan dive was shorter dive time wise but there was no safety stop as this is very shallow dive and due to very strong current in the channel.

You'll get good diving with most/all of the operators around town. Ecologic, Amigos, Island Divers to name three.

I must confess I'm a bit surprised Ecologic haven't come in here by now. I know they look at this forum at least from time to time. But I don't draw any inferences from that - they're a good and professional operation.

Incidentally, for Amigo's afficionados there is a bit of bad news. Well, it's worse for Amigos themselves. Their big boat threw an engine a week or so ago, totally destroyed, and the practical issues (both timing and financial) in replacing it are massive. So for the time being Amigos are running atoll trips in smaller boats. On the plus side, the seas are so calm you could almost swim out to Lighthouse Atoll; on the minus, there are virtually no tourists on the island at the moment so no income to be made towards the cost of the new engine. This is the sort of thing visitors when bargaining for the lowest price don't see - a new engine at US$55k in the US, plus carriage, duties & fitting needs an awful lot of Blue Hole trips to cover it.

Perhaps I'll try Amigos next time. I dove with Chuck and Robbie's last year and really enjoyed that shop as well.

Upon the advice of a friend living on Ambergris, My wife and I dove with Rudy (Island Divers) in March. His website: Island Divers Belize.
Rudy and Nef took great care of us. It was always a small group. Dive times were limited by our air consumption and we will definately be back. All our previous diving was with Peter (Protech) so we have surely been spoiled.:D

Yakivet, I know you mentioned your dive times were limited by consumption. Just wondering if you remember how long the dive times were (from descent to surface).

Well, if Peter and Gaz agree on something then their point of view is definitely worth considering. :D

But I have a question for both of you or any other operator that wants to chime in: did you ever impose a time limit of only 35 minutes on routine dives? I bet not, but if you did how did that go ever with your customers?

I dived in the Keys for about a week last summer with Conch Republic just south of Key Largo. I honestly don't remember what time limits were imposed, but I'm sure I'd remember if I thought the limits were unreasonably short.

As far as horror stories, probably should be in a different thread but I love reading that stuff so by all means post away.

The dive times in the Keys are usually an hour. Not including the wrecks

A Dive Operators Point of View

Of course the diver dont give a rats ass about the Ops point of view

well yeah... I'm one of those divers.

However I have seen it many times where the beginners are puking all over the boat during the additional time and when the divers surface there is a bad vibe on the boat with the sickos being angry they could not get to shore (which is 5 minutes away) and there diving for the day is done as they are too sick to go back out.

You'd think they would use that opportunity to:
1- learn to puke outside of the boat
2- take diving a bit more seriously, stop flailing their arms all over the place, don't show up hangover and maybe even get in a bit better shape to enjoy +-60min dives

but noooo... instead they welcome the divers that just had a blast with a stink eye. Like it is wrong to be efficient under water... screw them.

Well the answer is easy, send 2 boats with different levels of divers on it, ad that would always be my first choice if I had enough divers but unfortunately that is not always not possible when you only have lets say 4 divers 2 experinced 2 beginners so what can we do to solve it.

What I always did was brief the experienced divers UP FRONT prior to heading out and explain to them the situation and give them there own DM and advise them that they will get into the water first and out last, once we hit the dive site. Since they were experienced they were into the water quickly and did not have to wait as I had given them there own guide so they were in and down within a few minutes.

The beginners always fiddled aound with masks and equipment and ususally took at least an additional 10 minutes before they were ready to decend.

At the end of the beginners dive nearly always 30 minutes-40 minutes and 10 minutes getting back onto the boat they never needed to wait more than 10 minutes for the experieced divers to complete there dive and they would of got close to a 60 minute dive if they were really good on air but most times they were back on the boat after 50 minutes and everyone was happy.

Thats the only way to deal with this situation without running 2 boats its works really well but requires good management and briefing and some understanding on both the experienced divers and beginners but with a bit of communicatin everyone understands and its possible for everyone to have a great dive based on there own experience levels.

Gaz Cooper

thank you... it sure sounds like it is an easy solution for you to put in place .... maybe makes too much sense and that is why most of the other charters don't do that?

timed dives, and especially short timed dives are a complete deal-breaker for me, I will accept something reasonable, say a 60 min max dive time limit, but anything less is unacceptable. I also hate it when dives ops 'round down' the dive times, for example, they'll tell you up front there's, say, a 45 min limit, but I catch them shaving 5 or 10 minutes off the dives once I'm in the water...these are all major "no no's" in my book and are enough of an issue for me that I will never be a repeat customer....as they say "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom