Eco Dive Center customer (don't) care????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMD123:
I still dont understand why people pay for airfills when you can get them for free at reefseekers. Also they have the greatest return policy on earth. If you dont like something for anyreason bring it back and they will take care of you. I have only brought one thing back to them. It was a low pressure steal 80. i did not like it because it would not fill my spare air (save the comments) all the way. They took it back for a full refund and I applied it to my high pressure tank.

J

PS I am just a customer of Reefseekers.
If there was a ReefSeekers close to every neighborhood, we might not be having this discussion. But Beverly Hills is not convenient for everyone. And with gas prices the way they are, it's cheaper to pay for a fill locally than drive a long way to save $4.50!

I felt compelled to respond on this thread because I was surprised to hear about how Mike’s experience on Mr. C last Sunday was so different from mine, and it seemed like Eco was being criticized more for features of the boat rather than for things that they actually have control over.

Ken Kurtis:
But the fact that he aroused suspicion (along with the other first-time poster praising Eco) ….
- Ken

If you read my post carefully, I wasn't “praising” Eco specifically, although you might have mistakenly taken it as praise since I wasn’t writing anything negative about them. I was responding to Mike's post, mentioning that I had a positive experience that day on Mr. C, and I was also responding about the features of the boat. The primary point I was trying to make was that I think it's unfair to blame Eco Dive Center for his not having comfort with the features of the boat. Mike has since clarified that he believes the boat just wasn’t as well organized others and he is used to certain other boats/charters (that I would say are “fancier” than Mr. C).

[Perhaps this brings up a good separate topic (?) – In general, to whom do you attribute your good or bad dive boat experience – the boat, the crew, the divemaster(s), the group who chartered the boat, or all or some combination of the above? ]

Ken Kurtis:
…. I personally abhore any anonymous or "cutesy-name" posts. Regardless of what screen name you use, put your name and any relevant affiliations in your post so there's some accountibility, as well as to give people some perspective on your prejudices &/or loyalties which may be framing your thoughts.
- Ken

Wow, “abhore” is a strong word. Ken, you must be terribly frustrated reading posts on scubaboard. I am surprised at how my not signing with my “real” name as a first time poster has aroused suspicion (of what, exactly? What would be the grand conspiracy fercrissakes?). I agree that it would be better to sign with your name and any relevant affiliations, especially if you are revealing or sharing something negative so that you can give people a chance to respond personally and/or defend themselves if they believe they were wrongly accused.

I’m not embarrassed or ashamed to reveal my name. I just thought it was more customary for people to not sign their “real” names. I’ll tell you a bit about myself so as to eliminate any doubt as to my “prejudices &/or loyalties which may be framing [my] thoughts” (if anyone really cares). So if you’re interested, here goes…

My name is Dana Rodda. I am just a regular diver (not a DM or instructor) and I dive frequently (1-3 times per week), mostly from local beaches. I’ve logged 126 dives in the 13 months I’ve been certified (certified June 2005). I went through the LA County ADP program last summer and am helping out as safety diver this year. I frequently dive with the DiveVets group on Wednesday nights and sometimes on Sundays at Old Marineland. I also dive with friends I’ve met through my dive classes or through other message boards or through other friends. I am a member of the West LA Dive Club. I chose the screen name “SeekNCritters” because one of the primary reasons I enjoy diving is because of the critters – finding them, photographing them, learning about them – it’s endless fun. I live in West LA and have been to Eco Dive Center a few times, and have purchased a few (not major) items from them. I have had good experiences with them thus far and was very surprised and saddened to hear about the negative experiences that Humongous, Randog and others have had. I hope these negatives are the exception. I purchase almost all of my gear from Scuba Haus in Santa Monica, since that was where I was certified, I work ½ mile from there, they’re good people, and I have a great relationship with that shop.

Happy, safe diving!

-Dana

Kudos to SeekNCritters for posting her info... I personally wouldn't do so in a public forum. I think the anonimity the internet provides is a screen posters use to try and derail posts original intentions if they conflict with their belief.

Since she didn't post her info in her original post it was easy to believe that it could have been someone from eco trying to derail the thread by pointing out MikeT's post and not discussing the points that Humongus stated. ( not necessarily a Grand Conspiracy, but possible )

SeekNCritters, quick question. Since you were one of the 3 on this thread that actually attended the trip in question. Humongus, MikeT, and you. What were you quoted on the price of the trip? Where did you see it advertised? How much did you end up paying?

Hi. I am frequently diving on “Mr. C” (using DiveVets deals) and I was on this boat for last two weekends (boats from Eco and Sea d Sea). Usually due to reasonable price boat is crowded but 07/23 boat from Eco was on light side and as Dana’s my experience on this day was positive. Actually I was pleasantly surprised that thanks to DM and Captain, boat moved after each dive and we were able to dive 3 locations (most of the time due to classes it hits only two sites). Maybe because I use this boat often, I know what to expect and I do accept (together with low price) some inconveniences of diving with students, they need DM and crew help in first place. Personally I use this boat for practice and if I want total DM attention to me I do not signup for charters with students. I also used Eco store a few times with no problems. Mirek (that is my name, not "cutesy-name")

I was thinking too about the Mr C. I went on it my first time over the 4th of july weekend. i had a really good time. Yes, it is the sloooowweest boat in the pacific but who cares, i got 3 dives, all in different places had a really really nice time and enjoyed it all 100%. yes, there are some inconviences aboard but for $65+other stuff who cares. I would do it again soon!

-cody

ps, from here on out all posters posting negative comments must leave their:

full legal name
Home address
SS number
phone numbers for work, home and cell
and mothers maiden name.

those rules apply for everybody except me.

thanks! :wink:

there are some inconviences aboard but for $65+other stuff who cares. I would do it again soon!

Yea, but the problem is that they advertised the $65 price, then charged me and my buddy $75 each! Then gave my buddy a hard time when he asked for a refund!

I wasn't going to post anything about my Eco/Mr C experience until I found out they overcharged us. That "plus" the fact that I felt the boat wasn't run as well as I expected was what prompted me to post my thoughts.

For example: When I am on a Reefseekers charter on the Cee Ray (not the best boat, a little bigger than the Mr C, but just as slow, or slower) the Reefseeker's DMs clearly lay out the gate times (when they open, when they close) and the be-back time (when you have to have your butt back on the boat). Eco/MrC did neither until the last dive, where they told us (the first divers ready to get in the water) that we had only 30 minutes max for the dive. This was after waiting almost 30 minutes at the last dive site for the last two divers to return.

Reefseeker's DMs also give a great pre-dive briefing before the first dive site. They make sure there is a camera area/table and a "large" rinse bucket set up, and they bring useful items on the boat like a hang line, and a line to hand the heavy camera's down to divers.

Maybe I am just jaded by going on Reefseekers charters (various boats), Spectre (open boats), Pacific Star (open boats) and Aquatica (open boats).

Like I said, I have been on the Mr C with Pacific Wilderness and it was a completely different experience. That makes me think it's the shop that made the trip less memorable, not the boat itself.

- MikeT (real name - Michael Thibeau)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom