ebay Treasures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be very surprised if the dry bleed design works, once the piston is contaminated it needs to be replaced with a new one. Never have seen one work correctly after being contaminated , no amount of cleaning ever worked. Dry bleed system works to keep interior of 1st stage dry and clean. Obviously was contaminated and stopped working. Piston gets contaminated by water in tank or during improper rinse with dust cap off after a dive.

I figured that there must have been an unplugged port and the salt water got in through the top piston hole and made it's way down to the bottom of the cylinder. Contrary to popular belief I have managed to get a couple of Sherwood pistons to work again--there was a technical service bulletin issued many years ago that suggested a way to clean it. One of my pistons fell just short of the specs of how much air bleeding and another made it the acceptable amount. I figured I had nothing to lose.

Naw.... like I said, I paid for the computers mainly and know someone who needs a SPG.

Makes sense but it's rather confusing given that almost all of your first post including virtually all the pictures was about the regulators and the time you spent attempting to restore them to functionality.

Makes sense but it's rather confusing given that almost all of your first post including virtually all the pictures was about the regulators and the time you spent attempting to restore them to functionality.

Well, I just started fiddling with the regulator for fun mainly. Once I got started it began to look much more promising than expected. What some might call a waste of time I call entertainment. I was hoping to find a shim in the green goo but then realized it was adjustable, therefore didn't have any shims. I have another Sherwood that is a bit low in the IP so I'm trying to locate some shims for it. Know of a source? The only ones I've found are for ScubaPro at VDH.

Sorry about the confusion--I was simply amazed at how well it cleaned up and surprised when, after not all that much effort, I connected it to a tank and it worked. I suppose it could be difficult to understand why I bothered if you don't have OCD :wink: It bothers me if something doesn't work correctly so I'm constantly fixing things. I'm retired so I can do that. I ran out of "allowed" pictures for the post so I didn't get the computers and SPG posted. After I fix my garage-door opener I'll take the first stage apart and post the "after" pictures.

20190226_100010.jpg 20190226_121632.jpg

I eagerly await the results of your next deep dive and I hope it won't be posted about by @DandyDon

I mainly dive with my Sherwoods and I've never used an adjustable-while-diving second stage so I'm planning on using the Maximus as my octopus and trying it out. Since it can be "turned down" it seems like it might make a good octopus since it would be unlikely to free-flow. I've never felt like my regulators (Sherwoods, anyway) were lacking when breathing at depth so I never really understood the need for the adjustable second stage so it will be interesting to me to see what the difference is. I've always adjusted my second stages for optimum flow, just short of leaking and never thought about it but I seldom go below 90 feet. When the Magnums first came out I was diving with an old Calypso and it was noticeably lacking while under exertion (swimming against a current etc) and the Magnum always delivered enough air and never failed. I got inspired by the green Maximus and checked the IP on the Calypso and it was only about 123 psi. I dropped in a steel washer, raised it to almost 140, and it's a big difference :) Now I need to find stainless washer the same size and then try it out for real. Why? Just to see if it works, I guess. There's a lot of hype about new regulators but I dove with that Calypso a couple thousand times and, other than the low IP, it seems that the main thing it was lacking was enough LP ports. It came with an adapter to add two more LP accessories so it's usable with an octopus and BC hose. If enough people were to show up without regulators and the last choice was the Calypso I wouldn't hesitate to use it for an average recreational dive. Of course, it is now my second-to-last choice. :wink: I don't think I'd ever actually dive with the Maximus first stage (well, maybe in the swimming pool) but I was amazed at the results of my efforts. I understand the use of the adjustable first stage for cold-water diving, but the US Navy didn't seemed to think much of the Maximus but thought very highly of Sherwood's Blizzard. I think the blizzard might use the same first stage but I'm not certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom