Eating on the run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am leaving this weekend for Disney, some diving and a wedding. I will be very mobile the whole time and do not want to succumb to the Wendy's and McDonalds of the Orlando area.
So, I am thinking there has to be some healthy alternatives for eating. I am actually thinking of packing a blender for my fruit smoothies in the morning.
Specifically, I am wondering what kind of foods I can pack that may take minimal refrigeration at heating as I will bring an ice chest, but even the best packed chest will have difficulty keeping things cool in a car in the hot Disney parking lot.
My thoughts are whole wheat chips and salsa, some fruit and crackers. Oh, and bringing small containers of pre made Carnation instant breakfast, and lots and lots of water. Any other suggestions?

Some of those tuna/seafood foil snack packs? Bags of ready to eat baby carrots. Granola bars (I like Nature Trail brand) - but some are higher in sugar and bad stuff then others.
Have you thought about getting one of the coolers that plug into the car lighter, or mains power outlet, to keep the contents cold? About $30 in Walmart. If not, just take some fresh fruit and a pint of milk - make your own yoghurt later!

Get one of those personal blenders, either a Magic Bullet or a knock-off for convenient packing.

Cut fruit and veggies in baggies have always travelled well for me and sometimes I will take a bag of the pre-mix salad and some sliced cold cuts to make chef salads. The more perishable items get eaten first, don't forget they have grocery stores down there to re-stock :D I use the large artificial ice packs whenever I'm going to be staying at a hotel where I can re-freeze them since they stay colder longer than the ice does. I have to be careful to keep the veggies from touching them though, I accidentally froze a whole bag of carrots this weekend :D

I also like to get some of the nutrition bars like the "Balance Carb Well" because I can carry them with me and snack on the run.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Get one of those personal blenders, either a Magic Bullet or a knock-off for convenient packing.
that's a neat little blender, but I just love the warnings-
* Plug cord into wall outlet first, then operate blender.
To disconnect, take container off, then remove plug from wall outlet.
* Do not operate while driving a vehicle.

Damselfish:
that's a neat little blender, but I just love the warnings-
* Plug cord into wall outlet first, then operate blender.
To disconnect, take container off, then remove plug from wall outlet.
* Do not operate while driving a vehicle.

Good thing I didn't suggest getting an inverter/converter (whatever you call them) so she could save time and make smoothies on the way to the Disney parking lot :D
Ber :lilbunny:

when you need to eat fast food, Pollo Loco has a great smokey black bean burrito!

It's in Cali, not sure about Fla. Have a fun trip.

McDonald's and Wendy's are actually quite good.. McD's salads are very low calorie, filling, and very high quality.. Wendy's has good salads as well, plus their Frescata sandwiches are low calorie and delicious.

Beyond that, my favorite choices for eating on the go are instant oatmeal (Kashi GoLean and Heart2Heart are wonderful and extremely healthy), prepackaged meal replacement bars (GoLean Crunch, Clif, be, Special K, Balance, Kashi TLC, etc), packaged (bag) tuna with whole grain Wheat Thins, and - this one may surprise many - freeze-dried backpacking food. Mountain House freeze-dried meals, which you can find at any camping store, are really quite delicious and filling and you only need access to hot water to make them. They have all sorts of varieties that are very tasty.

BTW, the best ones are beef stew, chicken teriyaki, lasagna, and rice&chicken :)

Great ideas folks. I appreciate it. For me, however, tuna is out. Sorry, can't stomach that stuff to the point I don't even feed the cat canned cat food! :l:
No hotel rooms for me. I am staying at friends houses, so I can put some stuff in the fridge/freezer at night.
Am actually thinking of tacos for lunch at Disney. Put some premade taco meat in a container covered with aluminum foil and set on the dashboard! Add some cold fillings, and viola! lunch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom