Eating on the run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB&J on whole wheat....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:wink:

Well, I did make it through the weekend OK. I tried to drink as much water as possible. At Disney, I finally succumbed to a couple gulps of soda, something that I have not had in a couple months. YUK!! The eating wasn't the best, but with all the walking, dancing and diving, I think I may have burned more calories than consumed.

Just take a few MRE's. You might want to take an entrenching shovel so you can dig in while you're setting up your perimeter in Disneyland. Watch your six though - them rats get ornery.

jonnythan:
Wendy's has good salads as well, plus their Frescata sandwiches are low calorie and delicious.

Jonnythan....look again, those Wendy's Frescata sandwiches aren't low calorie one bit. Just wanted to let you know......

Black Forest 480 calories/20 grams fat/4 fiber/11 pts
Turkey & swiss 490 calories/21 grams fat/4 fiber/11pts
Club 440 calories/16 grams fat/4 fiber/9 pts
Turkey pesto 420 calories/16 grams fat/4 fiber/9 pts

11 points is half of my allowance for the day....doesn't leave many points for breakfast, dinner and snacks. A Big Mac is 14 pts. There are much better fast food choices out there. You can make the Frescata sandwiches lower cal by eliminating the sauces or getting them on the side and spreading very thin once you sit down.

Lori
(also a Weight Watchers leader)

420 calories for a sandwich that large is not bad. One sandwich is *plenty* for dinner. You can even toss in the bag of Baked Lays for a total of 550 calories for dinner, which is entirely reasonable and fits well into a calorie-restricted diet.

Moreover, if you get the Turkey pesto without the pesto sauce you're knocking off 80 calories and 8 grams of fat, leaving the sandwich at 340 calories with 8 grams of fat (I'm not sure where those 8 grams come from, but that's what Wendy's says). Add the chips (or, preferably, some fruit or something) and you're looking at 470 calories for dinner. Or 340 for lunch.

My usual breakdowns are about 150 calories for breakfast, 250 calories for lunch, 500 calories for dinner, and 400 calories of fruit and snacks spread throughout the day.

There certainly are better fast food choices out there, but the Frescatas are large, filling, and really really tasty for not too many calories.

BTW, believe me, I know how many calories they have. Have you looked at that spreadsheet I posted, where I've accounted for every single calorie I've consumed since April? :wink:

Funny, you mention the Wendy's Frescata sandwiches. I had the Turkey Basil one. I am on a basil/pesto kick right now, and can't seem to get enough. But that sandwich was gross! The pesto sauce was horrible. I ended up throwing over half of it away. They would do better with just pesto.
(I make my own...yummy!!!)

Jonny, you are quite impressive with those stats. I have not looked at your spreadsheet yet, but still am quite impressed!

420 calories for my entree is way too much. Being a woman trying to maintain my goal weight, I'd much rather spread my points (calories) out over the day and maximize with low calorie (low point) items or no point veggies to stay satisfied. Assuming you are male, your caloric intake and expenditure is significantly different than mine. I'd much prefer to keep my entree to at 300 or less. Allows for 5 meals and snacks per day as opposed to one large and 2 scant.

Occasionally the sandwich is fine, but not on a regular basis.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I returned to the States for a couple of weeks in June and it was an eye opener.

What I discovered (I've been living out of the US 17 years and have been eating healthily since May-since May I've lost 50lbs) is that there is virtually nothing healthy to eat within a mile of an interstate. Looking for a snack is even worse.

Part of my trip was a drive from Alabama to Pennsylvania and back. On the way up we packed fruits, veggies, turkey, whole wheat bread and water, so eating was not an issue. However, on the way back we put together similar food but then no body picked it up to put it in the car for drive back.

I tried the before mentioned Frescata at Wendy's and ate it without the top piece of bread and thought it was crap.

I also observed people eating in restaurants (now that I'm on the high road and can be holier-than-thou), American's are eating themselves to death. Having just started trying get my weight under control when I was there, it struck me as ludicrous what people eat. I stopped at a Taco Bell one day and had a medium diet drink, which I didn't finish, I looked around and every single person in the restaurant had a large drink (the ones with the small tapered bottom to fit in the car drink holder), and I'm sure they were not all diet sodas.

The first night I arrived in the US I went to dinner with a couple of friends, as we ate our healthyish dinners (I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat) one friend looked around the restaurant and said "Look at everyone in here, they are all fat" and he was right. Almost everyone was at least a bit pudgy and they all had plates heaped with pasta and pizza in front of them.

I'll get off my soapbox, but the trip certianly opened my eyes.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom