Easy way to clean a slate!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I made a slate that fits over my forearm from a cut PVC pipe and use a 2H pencil.

While in Boniare on a SI I thought "How do I clean off the slate here?" and then:

I wet my finger with some spit, poked it in the coral sand and then rubbed the slate. It works perfectly and the slate is shiny white - ready for the next dive. I can leave some sand on it and it gets washed off as soom as I get back in the water.

stuff you use around the house to clean your sink "soft scrub" works fine ..does not scratch plastic slate as sand will eventually do.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser :) Also works at at buffing out the release compound from new masks. I keep one in my dive bag at all times.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser :) Also works at at buffing out the release compound from new masks. I keep one in my dive bag at all times.
This is what I use as well

toothpaste works great too.

toothpaste works great too.

This is what I use topside also. Has anyone got any ideas how to clean (erase) a portion underwater? I might write something down wrong, realize it immediately, but all I can do is scratch it out. Even pencil erasers don't work underwater. I haven't tried sand, but that assumes your at the bottom when you make the error.

This is what I use topside also. Has anyone got any ideas how to clean (erase) a portion underwater? I might write something down wrong, realize it immediately, but all I can do is scratch it out. Even pencil erasers don't work underwater. I haven't tried sand, but that assumes your at the bottom when you make the error.
Magic Erasers work underwater, too.

Magic Eraser (even the dollar store version) is amazing on a slate. It's the best thing I've used - no more scouring. Bring extra when you travel to leave behind for the Instructors. :)

Just a heads up: on the Magic Eraser.
Read the contents: when they first came out they contained formaldehyde!
Not something you want to use without rubber gloves!!
Mike D

Back
Top Bottom