Easy short trip to warm waters from YYZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Dogbowl have you made up your mind a short, easy dive trip, yet? Where did you decide to go?

@KathyV , I haven’t decided for several reasons. One is that I’m not sure yet if my travelling companion will be my sister (non-diver) or my husband. That will make a difference where I go and how I will dive.

But there aren’t very many direct flights into a place that’s less than one week long. I’m going to have to get creative, like maybe take one airline in and another airline out via 2 one-way fares. Or do connecting flights.

There are inexpensive 3-5 day packages to Varadero from Toronto- also to Holguin and the Cayos. The Bay of Pigs is a popular spot to dive and can be done as a day trip from Varadero. Habana is also nearby which is also a big plus in terms of things to do.

Have you looked at Cuba? There are multiple daily flights from TO of course..

Matanzas Eco Tours | Top Things To Do in Matanzas | Scuba Combo packages, Bikes and Snorkelling

I haven’t considered Cuba but I will now!

I think if I went to Cuba I would want more time to explore the island and the culture, rather than just a long weekend of diving. Cuba might be better for a full vacation trip - just my opinion.

Yes certainly plenty of interest there beyond diving :) But don't forget Cuba is not really a novelty for Canadians, it's easily accessible from most cities- especially from Toronto and Montreal. I typically go 2-3 times a year.

Yes certainly plenty of interest there beyond diving :) But don't forget Cuba is not really a novelty for Canadians, it's easily accessible from most cities- especially from Toronto and Montreal. I typically go 2-3 times a year.

@Bogtrotter , please tell me more! How do you find the diving? The dive ops? Accommodations? Where to dive? Where best to fly in? What airline? Cuba is rarely discussed here on SB, for obvious reasons, but other than Jardines de la Reina, I haven’t heard much about its diving. I know one LDS runs regular trips there but never felt “comfortable” signing up due to topside conditions. I prefer to have running hot water for daily showers, for example. :D

@Bogtrotter , please tell me more! How do you find the diving? The dive ops? Accommodations? Where to dive? Where best to fly in? What airline? Cuba is rarely discussed here on SB, for obvious reasons, but other than Jardines de la Reina, I haven’t heard much about its diving. I know one LDS runs regular trips there but never felt “comfortable” signing up due to topside conditions. I prefer to have running hot water for daily showers, for example. :D
Hi my friend @Dogbowl

Picky picky picky huh? :)

Splurge on a week off and consider...

COBALT COAST RESORT on GRAND CAYMAN
One of the potential problems with Cobalt Coast is that Reef Divers only does 2 AM boat dives per day. Being most north, the shore diving is prone to adverse conditions. You can always try going south to Lighthouse Point or Turtle Reef, but it will not be on your package. I can't figure out why they don't offer 3 boat dives per day like they do on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Does anybody know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom