Easy short trip to warm waters from YYZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy short trip departing from YYZ to warm waters for diving? I don’t want to dive locally (too cold) but want to dive more, and cannot always leave for a full 7 nights’ trip. It would be nice if there are trips that I could do over a long weekend. For example, leave on a Thursday evening, come back on Sunday or Monday night, getting in 2-3 full days of diving? The biggest barrier I have found are flight schedules. Most flights depart and return on the same day of the week, thereby requiring a full week’s stay. Any thoughts?

Have you checked flights to SE Florida to PBI or FLL? Maybe not so reliable in late Fall, Winter, early Spring, but pretty good the rest of the year.

Have you checked flights to SE Florida to PBI or FLL? Maybe not so reliable in late Fall, Winter, early Spring, but pretty good the rest of the year.

Yes, YYZ to FLL, MIA are almost daily. South Florida and the Keys are not my first preference, especially in the winter time, but definitely an option to keep in mind!

Yes, YYZ to FLL, MIA are almost daily. South Florida and the Keys are not my first preference, especially in the winter time, but definitely an option to keep in mind!
So, where do you want to go for your long weekend? Cozumel, Grand Cayman? Not that many options, Providenciales?

So, where do you want to go for your long weekend? Cozumel, Grand Cayman?

Those would be nice! Curacao, Bonaire, Roatan, etc. Most would require 1 week stays I think...

I’m looking at Coz (as an example) for our July long weekend and I’d have to do the bag drag from Cancun, or go through the US. I guess I’m looking for “easy” and I wouldn’t consider either option to be “ easy”.

Those would be nice! Curacao, Bonaire, Roatan, etc. Most would require 1 week stays I think...

I’m looking at Coz (as an example) for our July long weekend and I’d have to do the bag drag from Cancun, or go through the US. I guess I’m looking for “easy” and I wouldn’t consider either option to be “ easy”.
I've been to all, prefer 2 weeks :)

I'd look for nonstop flights to maximize your at the destination time.

Some options from YYZ

Nassau
Aruba
Georgetown, Grand Cayman

I used Fri-Tue for these. Some had later Th night flight options also

On Nassau you could stay downtown or on Cable Beach and boat dive daily with Bahama Divers - they'll pick you up. Stiart Cove's does also but it's a 45-60 min. shuttle ride to their location
'

IDK the Aruba options but there's also shore dives there

Grand Cayman has both also with about 2 dozen operators picking up anywhere on 7 Nile Beach. Pricey though - dives in the 2/$100 range and in high season even the "Suites" hotels are $3-400/nt. It is easy to do 4 boat dives/day there. Hotels along SMB are also close to restaurants, shops and the airpprt since cabs are also pricey.

Maybe also see where else WestJet flies - they were in some of the results I found, I use Matrix - ITA Software by Google

If you are looking for warm water, Florida and the Bahamas are kind of cold in the Winter IMO - but still warmer than Toronto!

You will have to devote much of one day to the "wait to fly" rule so that will limit the amount of diving you can get over a long weekend.

Will you be traveling as a single diver or with a buddy? Paying a single supplement will add expense.

I agree that non-stop flights would be your best option to maximize your limited vacation time but that definitely limits your destination choices for weekend trips from Toronto.

If you try Grand Cayman, here's some options to consider for a short stay:
  • Compass Point and Dive Frontiers on the East End - 4 boat dives per day (and maybe a night dive) but you will need to rent a car and drive on the left, or pay a premium for the long cab ride. Dining is available at the resort and they may offer a meal plan. The East End has some of the best diving on the island but the resort is in a remote location. If it gets rough they can sometimes go North or South for calmer water. Usually offer small dive groups.

• Sunset House - Just South of George Town - 2 boat dives per day and free shore dives on the house reef including night dives; 1-tank afternoon boat dives and possibly a night boat dive also available. Easy cab ride from the airport. Cathy Church's excellent UW photo studio and shop are onsite. Breakfast is included, good restaurants onsite, and it is close to George Town with multiple eating options. They may primarily dive the West Bay and South Sound, which are not always the best dive sites but often the calmest water in winter; ask @Trailboss123 for more info. Larger boats and groups - but not cattle boats. This would be a quick, easy, and convenient option for a short stay.

• Holiday Inn and DiveTech - On the North Sound - 2 boat dives and unlimited shore dives at Lighthouse Point; 1-tank afternoon boat dives and possibly a night dive also available. About a $30 cab ride from the airport. There are mixed reviews of the hotel. There is a restaurant onsite - also mixed reviews. The resort operates a free shuttle during the day to the 7MB, George Town, and Camana Bay Shopping Center - but the shuttle isn't available at night and the resort is in a remote location. The North Wall has great diving, but it can be windy and rough in the winter. Lighthouse Point is on the west side, north of 7MB and it is an excellent shore dive. May be larger boats but not cattle boats.

• Cobalt Coast and Reef Divers - North of Seven Mile Beach in a remote location, fairly long cab ride from the airport. 2-tank boat dives and shore dives on the house reef; 1-tank afternoon dives available and possibly a night dive. All-inclusive hotel, diving, and food packages - mixed reviews of the food. The North Wall has great diving, but it can be rough in the winter; they will dive the west side if windy and rough. The house reef is great but it can get winded out easily in winter. Reef Divers provides valet dive services, larger boats but not cattle boats.

• You can also stay at any of the hotels, resort, or condos in the Seven Mile Beach and West Bay area and dive with any of the large or small dive ops that will either pick you up by van or on the beach by boat. They will mostly dive the West side or the North Wall depending on the conditions. These are in the most popular area with the most options for sleeping, eating, and entertainment, and easily accessible from the airport by cab. It is also the most expensive area, especially in Winter. The Comfort Suites and Sunshine Suites are considered more economical options.
Nitrox is widely available on GC for an extra fee.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy short trip departing from YYZ to warm waters for diving? I don’t want to dive locally (too cold) but want to dive more, and cannot always leave for a full 7 nights’ trip. It would be nice if there are trips that I could do over a long weekend. For example, leave on a Thursday evening, come back on Sunday or Monday night, getting in 2-3 full days of diving? The biggest barrier I have found are flight schedules. Most flights depart and return on the same day of the week, thereby requiring a full week’s stay. Any thoughts?

I think @KathyV has a great idea with Grand Cayman. You can get a non-stop flight on Air Canada direct into Grand Cayman and back. Doesn't get much easier than that. Flight is a bit expensive as a result of that convenience, but wow-- How nice to only have a 4 hour flight to paradise? Flight is on a Thursday morning and returns on Monday. Here is a snapshot:
upload_2018-1-21_7-22-19.png

If you did stay at a place like Sunset House, you could really maximize your dive time on such a short trip. By getting in at 1:05pm, you could have Sunset House pick you up at the airport (which they do for free) and you'd be back at the resort, settled and able to do an afternoon shore dive before dinner. One nice thing about Sunset House is that you really would not need to rent a car for such a short trip. They have an outstanding on site restaurant and bar that you could eat all of your meals at (breakfast is already included with their stays) or if you need some variety, you can walk into town (15-20 minutes) or a short taxi. You could do the 2 tank morning boat dives on Friday, Sat and Sunday and supplement that with on site shore diving in the afternoons and nights Friday and Saturday. The above flight is one that I randomly selected dates for. It is Thursday February 22nd and return on Monday the 26th. Let me know if you have any other questions. Homepage | Sunset House | Grand Cayman - Cayman Islands – Sunset House – George Town – Cayman Islands

I did find some cheaper flights, but none are so easy. They all involve layovers somewhere in the US

Buy a drysuit, plenty of great local diving within one to four hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom