Easy short trip to warm waters from YYZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive shop (No Cal) just advertised an end of summer trip that addresses this. Perhaps folks are listening?
Cobalt Coast is advertising as newly renovated.
"Aug 25 - Sep 1. $2200 incl air from SFO.
17 boat dives - 2 a.m. + 1 afternoon; unlim shore diving (wx permitting); 3 meals/day; Kittiwake and Stingray City extras."

So my question is, is it still worth it given the location on GC, and a late summer arrival?
That's an awesome deal with the airfare included from SFO and a great time of year to be able to shore dive on the north side from the resort. Only thing that could potentially mess things up would be the random hurricane- but, I would personally go for it. Nice and quiet on the island that time of year also. I was there those same dates in 2016 and we had tremendous weather and conditions. Was able to get out for numerous dives on the North Wall.

Hi @rsingler

I've been looking to return to the Caymans sometime this year and have communicated with the folks at Cobalt Coast. I have not been there since 2008. They are adding an afternoon 1 tank boat dive starting April 14, putting them on par with LCBR and CBBR. They are doing renovations mid February until mid April.

I have been to GC many times end of August, generally good weather and conditions, not only to get out to the North, but also for shore diving at the resort, which is quite good

My dive shop (No Cal) just advertised an end of summer trip that addresses this. Perhaps folks are listening?
17 boat dives - 2 a.m. + 1 afternoon; unlim shore diving (wx permitting); 3 meals/day; Kittiwake and Stingray City extras."

So my question is, is it still worth it given the location on GC, and a late summer arrival?

Sounds like a great deal! But there's a lot of things to see and do on Grand Cayman, and if you like going to nice restaurants and taking part in topside activities - or if you are traveling with non-divers - then CCGCR is off the beaten path and might not be your best choice.

But if you are there mostly to dive and relax then it would be a good opportunity, and you can always rent a car for a day or so to check out the island.

Sounds like a great deal! But there's a lot of things to see and do on Grand Cayman, and if you like going to nice restaurants and taking part in topside activities - or if you are traveling with non-divers - then CCGCR is off the beaten path and might not be your best choice.

But if you are there mostly to dive and relax then it would be a good opportunity, and you can always rent a car for a day or so to check out the island.
We always have a car on GC. Cobalt Coast is an easy drive to West Bay, SMB, Georgetown. Much, much closer than the East End. Of course, I love the East End just because of that :)

One of my first "dive trips" was with Club Med in Turks. They had a pretty good deal with flight, accommodation, meals, booze and lots of free activities. If you are going with a non-diver or less interested diver there is always something for them to do.
WestJet and AC have direct flights that are about 3 hours. You can probably get it for under $2000 each with flights etc.

If you are going with a keen diver I would go to the Caymans or Little Cayman Beach Resort on LC. Little more difficult flight to LC but the diving off bloody bay wall is worth it. LC has little to do other than dive and hang out at the bar.

I have always enjoyed planning where to go. Makes the cold winter seem less cold.

j

I would suggest you subscribe to some sites like Secret Flying | Cheap Flight Deals or YYZ Deals | Cheap Flights & All Inclusive Vacations from Toronto. Here are some current flight deals to warmer destinations;

Westjet has non-stop flights from Toronto to Bermuda from only $371 CAD roundtrip. Available from March to October (excluding summer). They also have non-stop flights from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica for only $367 CAD roundtrip. There is some limited availability from May to October 2018 (excluding summer). The Westjet site allows you to view prices for each week to see the deals.

Air Transit had a deal a couple weeks ago for Ft. Lauderdale in January/February 2019 for $247 CAD roundtrip (it may still be valid). That would get you down there for the Lemon Shark Aggregation.

I would suggest you subscribe to some sites like Secret Flying | Cheap Flight Deals or YYZ Deals | Cheap Flights & All Inclusive Vacations from Toronto. Here are some current flight deals to warmer destinations;

Westjet has non-stop flights from Toronto to Bermuda from only $371 CAD roundtrip. Available from March to October (excluding summer). They also have non-stop flights from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica for only $367 CAD roundtrip. There is some limited availability from May to October 2018 (excluding summer). The Westjet site allows you to view prices for each week to see the deals.

Air Transit had a deal a couple weeks ago for Ft. Lauderdale in January/February 2019 for $247 CAD roundtrip (it may still be valid). That would get you down there for the Lemon Shark Aggregation.

That's super helpful, thank you! I'll go subscribe now.

@rsingler I just wondering whether or not you decided to go on the CCGCR trip to Grand Cayman?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom