earthquake in cayman region?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend just sent me an email saying he heard that an earthquake had been recorded in the "Cayman Region". http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html Not sure exactly what that means. It sounds like it was on the ocean floor somewhere and did not impact the islands. But I thought I'd check and see if anyone had heard anything about this. Ivan is bad enough...

sdwho

There was something about this in the paper a few days ago but if it hadn't been mentioned, I don't think anyone here would have known about it, it was so small.

Different quake. This one occured just before noon today. 6.1 on the richter scale, 110 miles south of Grand Cayman.

nipi:
There was something about this in the paper a few days ago but if it hadn't been mentioned, I don't think anyone here would have known about it, it was so small.

I just called my friends on the East End and they did not feel anything, and did not know about it. Thanks lots for posting it so I could check on them. Maybe someone else can check with others there.

Maladryne:
Good grief, what's next? Locusts?

I didn't wait for the rivers to run with blood. I got out.

Evacuations were chaotic Thursday and I can't imagine how things will go today and tomorrow.

Drew Sailbum:
I didn't wait for the rivers to run with blood. I got out.
Good call. I hope there's nobody hanging out in Little Cayman.

19 miles is very deep. The earthquakews we get here in Southern California are much shallower. This is why most people did not feel the earthquake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom