Trip Report Guanaja Today: Diving During an Earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just a quick installment for today. I will be doing a full trip report when the trip is complete. I arrived to Guanaja on Monday with a group of 12 friends. We began diving yesterday and have 10 days of div ing planned. We are staying at the G&G Clearwater Paradise Resort: Scuba Diving Trips & Snorkeling, Guanaja Clearwater Divers

So far, the diving and hospitality have been outstanding. We had quite the experience today on our first dive of the day. About half way through there was a magnitude 5.5 earthquake centered 20 miles from our dive site and apparently 6 miles below the ocean floor. It sounded like a bomb went off and sent some sort of percussive type sound or shock wave right at us and it was like a jolt from a sledgehammer going right through your chest. It felt like it hit the torso and then passed all the way through the body. Shortly thereafter there was an additional aftershock that was much more mild.

Very crazy and unnerving experience. In the moment it hit, all the fish just jumped and scattered, including a large barracuda that was nearby.
Dives 2 and 3 today were uneventful and beautiful. Lots of nurse shark action on dive 2 as we had 5 nurse sharks of various sizes following us around for the entire dive and meandering in and around us for the entire hour. More later.

That sounds like quite the experience. Hope I never have the chance to experience that one!

Looking forward to pix & report. You’re doing the real-deal adventure travel, very little of that available these days! That bang was heard at CCV with similar alarm!

I look forward to reading your full report. Please report on how you liked the resort, whether you used a hopper or a ferry and your favorite dive sites. Thank you in advance. Your past travel reports were outstanding.

I look forward to reading your full report. Please report on how you liked the resort, whether you used a hopper or a ferry and your favorite dive sites. Thank you in advance. Your past travel reports were outstanding.
Thanks and will do-- already drafting the report a bit each day. I will be thorough.

Back
Top Bottom