Ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After I dive my ears need to be equalized periodically for some time. I find myself popping my ears every 10 minutes or so, sometimes for up to 2 days following a dive trip. I have noticed that the longer and deeper I was down, the longer this effect lasts. This has been going on for years, hundreds of dives, with no ill effects that I can tell. My question:

1 Is this common?
2 What causes this? Is offgassing somehow responsible for putting pressure on my ears?

Just curious...

Yep, me, too. I'll watch for answers from the Doc, I hope.

sharpenu:
After I dive my ears need to be equalized periodically for some time. [...]

There is a phenomena called "middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome" which might
explain this. Using gas with a high PO2 to equalize can cause this as the PO2 in the ear
space drops due to the O2 being absorbed (metabolized?).

This most often occurs to me when diving on rebreathers, but does also occur to a lesser
extent when using high PO2 nitrox mixtures and/or O2 for deco.

See also Bozanic's book Mastering Rebreathers.

Well, that's certainly interesting, but it happens to me after diving air or 32% Nx...

sharpenu:
1 Is this common?
2 What causes this? Is offgassing somehow responsible for putting pressure on my ears?

Just curious...

Me too.
I don't notice it much if I just do a weekend of diving, but if I do a full week on holiday or a live aboard, then yes I have to equalise in the evenings.

Hello sharpenu:

Rest assured, the ear popping is not the result of off gassing.

I have heard of the problem of ears and the metabolism of oxygen, which appears to be real.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr Deco:
Rest assured, the ear popping is not the result of off gassing.

Yeah, but - anyone know what it is...? :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom