Earrings safe for neck seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingsheep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are there any earrings out there that sit flush to the earlobe that would be okay for diving in a drysuit? I am considering getting my lobes pierced but don't want to sit out of the water for 12 weeks while they heal. Barring infection, I had thought of something like a flat disc with a bar and another flat disc that screws onto the back side of the bar and laid flush on both sides of the ear. Not sure if that type of earring even exists or what it would be called.

If you get your ears pierced in a proper tattoo and piercing studio (done with needles), and not at a kiosk, Clare's, etc in the mall who use a gun, then the jewellery used to pierce your ears will pose no risk to your neck seal. A proper studio will either use a labret stud (flat back with a ball on the front) or a barbell (ball on either end). I have multiple ear piercings, plus my nape (back of my neck) pierced and have had no issues with my jewellery and neck seal.

Piercing guns are bad, for multiple reasons. The biggest reason is they cannot be sterilised, and are used on multiple people. Blood and skin from every person that gun is used for can be found on the gun. Go to a proper, licensed, and experienced studio. Get it done with a single use, sterile needle, by a trained professional (a piercing apprenticeship lasts at least a year). Not some 16 year old who was maybe given an hour or so training on how to use a gun

I agree with what Rivers said. I dive with the initial studs that were used to pierce my ears by a professional piercer. No problems with my neck seals.

Are there any earrings out there that sit flush to the earlobe that would be okay for diving in a drysuit? I am considering getting my lobes pierced but don't want to sit out of the water for 12 weeks while they heal. Barring infection, I had thought of something like a flat disc with a bar and another flat disc that screws onto the back side of the bar and laid flush on both sides of the ear. Not sure if that type of earring even exists or what it would be called.

It's the Clint Eastwood answer:

"How lucky do you feel?"

If they're really small and flat, everything should be OK, however if you're not careful, it is possible to snag the neck seal and either tear the seal, or you.

It's probably OK, but I wouldn't do it.

flots.

I live in stud earrings and don't have issues with neck seals or hoods. I'm more likely to loose an earring that to catch on a seal.

Starter earrings last the longest (made of stainless) and stay put because the backs click/lock on, rather than some of the others.
Starter earrings are cheap and easy to pick-up at a beauty supply store like Sally's.

Put a piece of medical tape over the front of your earlobe, covering the earrings. You can take it off for the dive if you want, then put some back on before you pull your neck seal back over your ears. Two things accomplished: protects neck seal from being ripped and protects freshly pierced ears from being ripped. Don't ask how I know! The medical tape is the paper kind that comes off easy, with no extra goo that'll cause problems...3M makes it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom