Earlier Uwatec wrist depth gauge model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edrose

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and was happy to find a vintage equipment thread.
I would to ask your opinion on this Uwatec depth gauge. I made a lot of searches but it's almost impossible to find informations or images on this model.
As you can see, it makes 1.5 turns and has an above see level compensation facility on the back.
I have the opportunity to buy it for about $90, it's a new old stock one, made in Switzerland.
I know that the new model has the same price with thermometer, but I would use it for free diving and the great thing on this model is that it has a more detailed scale on shallower dephts, wich is much more advantageous for free divers.
Thanks!

0d659f1f07dc8a06.jpg

0c5c493444d3f97b.jpg

IMHO $90 is high when they were selling at half that when in production.

The movement is a 7 jewelled "Gourge" type movement attached to a beryllium copper soldered diaphragm by a rolled pin gear to the diaphragm. The movement is tooth geared and has a fully adjustable quadrant link and pointer, The dial is luminous plastic with printed markings (the dial face markings were not adjusted for hysteresis but simply printed for the sports market) but the pointer is fully adjustable by the rotation of the dial plate with a cogged gear adjusting screw to the movement plate. There is also an internal pressure equalisation screw.

The face is in toughened glass with a ground bevel edge for a 0-ring seal.

The strap rubber with a stainless insert screwed to the back of the gauge casing

I still have the original prototype casings and design movements for this depth gauge it is still one of the most accurate analog gauges even today.

They were marketed with a number of dial plate names in either MSW or FSW and to three depths originally.

Sadly when the Navy decided not to service there depth gauges but discard them in favour of cheaper non adjustable, non serviceable throw away gauges

and also with the advent of cheaper electronic pressure sensors with digital displays the relative high cost of manufacture and quality components in these instruments made is such that there was little call for this type of product.

Nice to see them again and to show quality still counts. Iain Middlebrook

Quality is worth $90. If it was marked in feet, I'd snap it up in a heart beat.

Back
Top Bottom