Earache and no medicine ... conclusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdharbis1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been browsing this forum and hijacking other people's threads asking questions about treatment and such, unintentionally actually, but it was taking away from the people who posted. So, I am creating this one, which will appear as so many others I am sure. But, if you have never had the ear problem happen to you, it is new, as it was to me.

I followed the suggestions of Dandydon, DocV, and TSandM :thumbs_up:and sought medical help last night. I just could not stand the pain any longer. I still have an eardrum this morning only because I went to the emergency room last night. It ended up being an internal ear infection and the only way to get relief is prescription anti-biotics. Had I waited any longer (the heal thyself syndrom), I probably would have not been able to dive for quite some time.

In reading the other threads, I didn't see the authors close out the thread with such as: "I saw the MD and he prescribed this." I just wanted all to know the outcome of my situation. I am a bit groggy this morning still, no sleep and Lortabs, but the healing has begun. I can already tell a difference in my ear and it has been less than 24 hours. Thanks for sound and solid advice from all the foks on this forum.

Randy

Good news! :thumb:

Before I developed good prophylactic habits with the equal parts alcohol-vinegar-water mixed suggested by DocV, I used to get those at times: eventually very painful and potentially damaging. And the preventative is virtually free; how much could a teaspoon each of alcohol, vinegar, water applied with a dropper cost...?

Glad you're getting relief for your ear problem.

During the summer, I'm really careful with my ears and use OTC ear drops before and after diving, because having an ear infection benches me for a while.

Have gotten in the habit of getting a bottle of amoxicillin (sp?) from Mexico, either when I go or through a friend. It's over the counter and relatively inexpensive, and keeps well in the fridge. This way, when I feel an infection coming on, I can start treating right away. Especially handy if a problem starts on Friday night.

Having said that, haven't had an ear infection in a year or so. Prevention is the key for me.

Don, the poster in question had a MIDDLE ear infection, according to what he wrote. Drops have no effect whatsoever in preventing or treating this.

OP, glad you saw the doctor. Sometimes it's hard to know what merits an appointment, because barotrauma itself can cause some pain, but if pain is severe or INCREASING, that almost always indicates that an examination is in order.

Cruiser, in keeping with the paragraph above, I have to say that your practice with respect to Amoxacillin is dubious. Not only is not all ear pain a bacterial infection which requires treatment, but external otitis benefits far more from drops, and overuse of antibiotics is THE primary reason why we have so much trouble today with drug resistance. People may think I'm just trying to make money for the medical profession, but honestly, an examination by a doctor really IS the best way to determine IF antibiotics are needed, and if so, which ones.

Cruiser, in keeping with the paragraph above, I have to say that your practice with respect to Amoxacillin is dubious. Not only is not all ear pain a bacterial infection which requires treatment, but external otitis benefits far more from drops, and overuse of antibiotics is THE primary reason why we have so much trouble today with drug resistance. People may think I'm just trying to make money for the medical profession, but honestly, an examination by a doctor really IS the best way to determine IF antibiotics are needed, and if so, which ones.

The prevention I mentioned is only with eardrops; I'm not using antibiotics for prevention, only treatment when needed. After years of going to the doctor with ear infections, and being consistently prescribed amoxicillin with good results, I decided to do the regimen myself, also with good results. Now I keep the antibiotics around until they expire just in case, but luckily haven't needed them :)

Don, the poster in question had a MIDDLE ear infection, according to what he wrote. Drops have no effect whatsoever in preventing or treating this.

The MD still associated my MIDDLE EAR infection with the weekend of diving. I don't understand how this works, I am guessing that's why she is getting paid the big bucks! But from what you have suggested, I am assuming that Don's recipe would not have prevented this? (I was of a mind that I will try to use his recipe every time I dive.)

rd-

the changes in pressure can introduce bacteria and debris from the back of the throat or the sinuses into the middle ear, where growth leads to an infection. This is particularly true if you try hard to clear, forcing even more into the middle ear.

happy diving.

ben

The MD still associated my MIDDLE EAR infection with the weekend of diving. I don't understand how this works, I am guessing that's why she is getting paid the big bucks! But from what you have suggested, I am assuming that Don's recipe would not have prevented this? (I was of a mind that I will try to use his recipe every time I dive.)
Lynn (TSandM) remembered from the other thread that you seemed to have a middle ear infection and not "swimmers ear" so my remarks in this one about the preventative ear drops were not on target. A good idea, virtually free, couldn't hurt - but wouldn't have prevented this deeper infection.
rd-

the changes in pressure can introduce bacteria and debris from the back of the throat or the sinuses into the middle ear, where growth leads to an infection. This is particularly true if you try hard to clear, forcing even more into the middle ear.

happy diving.

ben
For us laymen, it's sometimes hard to imagine bad guys from our mouth and nose (what we think of when you say "back of the throat or the sinuses") being involved in ear aches. TY.

For more reading on "swimmers ear" or Otitis Externa: Swimmer's ear - MayoClinic.com

As compared to middle ear infection: Ear infection, middle ear - MayoClinic.com
Including under Cause: "Ear infections also can be associated with dysfunction or swelling within the eustachian tubes"

My general "diver to diver" suggestion would still include use the alcohol-vinegar mix daily to prevent outer ear infection, equalize early & often as described in the 45 min video linked below to prevent middle ear infection, see a doctor in person early if your ear hurts as neither you or I are even qualified to tell which one it is.

Some sources suggest mixing equal parts alcohol, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide but that's wrong. Fresh H2O2 can cause damage, but in this probly breaks down quickly to simple water - why bother.

Cruiser's approach of obtaining antibiotics from back door sources to self treat in an area that really deserves medical attention is discouraged by physicians for good reasons - and it's not because they need the business. :D

I had middle-ear infection on my last trip, it was also the 1st time I had used drops. Glad to know that the MIDDLE-EAR infection had nothing to do with the drops.
Actually had suspected all along that the infection was due to my lack of weights on the last dive. Had kept a head-down position in the shallows (abt 8m), holding onto a rock! Left ear felt water-logged immediately aft the dive, developed headache in the afternoon & over the next day - fever! When pain killers don't seem to help, I visited a GP n he prescribed antibiotics, which cleared up the infection w/in a few days. :D No permanent damage, diving resumes! :eyebrow:

Unfortunately, the description puts my teeth a little on edge. You see, severe barotrauma causes hemorrhage behind and within the eardrum, and the appearance of this is VERY similar to the appearance of a middle ear infection. To make things even more confusing, the fluid that transudates into the middle ear with barotrauma is protein-rich and a great culture medium for bacteria, so barotrauma can be complicated by bacterial superinfection. It would be my guess that the vast majority of family physicians have never seen an eardrum after barotrauma, and would immediately diagnose a middle ear infection if they saw a drum with that appearance. (I would have, before getting more education.)

I have a little piece I wrote about ear infections, trying to clarify the etiology and symptoms of outer versus inner ear infections, HERE. Between that and Dr. Kay's video, people should come away with a bit better understanding of the potential issues that divers can have with their ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom