Diving Modification For Weakened Ear Drum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Pro Ear is a definite possibility for someone in my situation, where I have a sealed eardrum but which seems prone to perforation. Whether I'd keep on using it if I perforated again, I'm not really sure. Ideally I'd like to solve the problem by adapting how I dive and equalise. Thinking back, I'm very conscious that the final pain I had in the ear (before it let air out/water in) was the back roll from the boat. I wonder if anyone else has damaged an eardrum doing this?

Thinking back, I'm very conscious that the final pain I had in the ear (before it let air out/water in) was the back roll from the boat. I wonder if anyone else has damaged an eardrum doing this?

Yes, in Thailand in 2002, but I was too stupid (or in too much denial) to admit to myself what had happened! Very bad pain in my right ear after rolling in to the water followed by the usual symptoms of perforation. Luckily, no infection that time.

Yes, in Thailand in 2002, but I was too stupid (or in too much denial) to admit to myself what had happened! Very bad pain in my right ear after rolling in to the water followed by the usual symptoms of perforation. Luckily, no infection that time.
That is really interesting. I suspected it was a thing, but nothing came up on a Google search. The moment you hit the water, there's a lot going on, and it's a bit like cutting your finger - any injuries that happen right at that instant might not register. For me there was some pain noticeable at the time, but once I was upright at the surface and retrieving my camera, the pain went and I disregarded it. It was only 15 mins or so later down at 20m that unusual air/water displacement started happening across the TM. And between the two events, normal/uneventful equalisations.

Just to put things in perspective, when I did see an ENT many years later, he said that my right ear drum was as thin as rice paper. Now I have a super human ear drum made of cartilage, I still don't do backward rolls or jump from a great height in to water (with or without dive gear).

Just to put things in perspective, when I did see an ENT many years later, he said that my right ear drum was as thin as rice paper. Now I have a super human ear drum made of cartilage, I still don't do backward rolls or jump from a great height in to water (with or without dive gear).
Yes, that's a good idea. I was thinking wearing a hood might help, but obviously not doing a back-roll in the first place would remove the risk.

I did that for a while, couple of years maybe. I wouldn't do it now, but each to their own. Have you ever got water in your middle ear?

I did get water in my year, that's how I discovered the perforation. Since using the ProEar mask I have not had any issues. sometimes water leaks into a cup and I have to leave my head tilted in that direction for the rest of the dive. never been so bad I had to end a dive early.

I'm resurrecting this thread, not really to ask further questions, but to update with some recent info which may be helpful to others in a similar situation. I am the OP, and the first message summarises what happened / my situation.

From June up until now I have been diving about 6 times. Each time just one dive a day, with no interval between dives less than 48 hours. It's been in a shallow lake, with my depths varying between 3 - 10 metres. No problems to report.

Also I had both ears micro suctioned last week. The audiologist who de-gunged them had an interesting theory. He could see scar tissue in the middle of the right (affected) ear drum, and thought that the presence of this may be reducing overall flexibility, and therefore make the edges more susceptible to small ruptures. Made sense to me.

I have now booked up a dive trip in a couple of months time. It's a resort with a house reef, and my intention is to dive on this no more than twice a day, equalise ultra-carefully, and keep to 10 metres or shallower. If I have any signs of congestion, I won't dive. I have invested in a) a pro-ear mask and b) doc's pro plugs, both of which I am considering as a backup in case I have the same issues as previous.

Diving the way I have described is a bit limiting, but my hope is that I can slowly build up from there, and in the future be able to dive deeper again. None of this is a recommendation to anyone who has experienced a similar problem - I am not a physician, and I haven't yet proved if my approach will work. Either way, I'll report back here.

I have a perforated eardrum, can't go underwater at all. I Dive successfully with the IST ProEar mask.

I have the same problem, and a failed tympanoplasty with no desire to do that surgery again. I was wondering if the pro-ear (I have experience with pro-ear) combined with a custom ear plug would provide protection for my middle ear. Normally an ear plug would ensure immediate TM failure while diving but I have a hole in my TM that will never heal, so not a problem with TM pressure. I am an airline pilot so I am constantly reminded that I only have to equalize one ear.

I have the same problem, and a failed tympanoplasty with no desire to do that surgery again. I was wondering if the pro-ear (I have experience with pro-ear) combined with a custom ear plug would provide protection for my middle ear. Normally an ear plug would ensure immediate TM failure while diving but I have a hole in my TM that will never heal, so not a problem with TM pressure. I am an airline pilot so I am constantly reminded that I only have to equalize one ear.
If you have Eustachian tube dysfunction like the OP does then an earplug would create an enclosed gas-filled space in the affected ear and subject it to barotrauma.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom