Eager to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vic n col

Reaction score
I am having trouble controling my buddys urge to go diving again we have only just passed our open water course and he is now talking about doing our advanced open water course and I am only just comfortable with open water. Never mind I suppose that once you have got the bug thats it. It is there forever I just hope with confidence I get it that bad. I wonder if you are all like that.

I already have the bug and I am not even certified. We have dives lined up already. Let the bug hit you and go with it. Have fun, that's what life is all about :)

AOW is a lot like OW except you get to play with neat things underwater like lift bags, ropes, etc. (depending on which dives you end up doing). The advanced part is really a misnomer...there is not much advanced about it and I think you will enjoy it. Besides, it will get you back in the water, right?

I learned how to Scuba dive in August while on vacation in the Marshall Islands. During that time I only dove 5 times. Would I be ready for AOW now, or should I have more dives under my belt?

Taking the AOW course will definitely improve your confidence.
O-ring is correct that you are not really "advanced" after you complete the course - but it does introduce you to different types of diving while having an instructor with you.

Don't wait too long before getting back in the water - I waited a few months before getting back in (not having a buddy to go with) - I was definitely nervous on those first dives after OW. I believe I would not have been as nervous had I been able to jump right back in immediately after completing OW.

Boy that does sound a little scary, but the posts above are right.

Your just making a few more dives, improving your skills, and getting an additional card!!

Have a great time and if something does not feel like fun, wait until your ready!

See you out there!!!

Jef Lane

yeah. as a 1 day old certified OW diver :D i am looking forward to AOW, for me i see it as a chance to dive with the supervision of my INSTRUCTOR at the real OCEAN/SEA !!! (we got certified at a quarry)

the AOW is commonly refered to as Open Water Pt. 2 among many of the people I dive with. Because, that's really what it is, you get a few more dives under your belt with the security of knowing there is an instructor right there watching you.

:jester:
Well it looks like you have all got the bug and I am just going to have to dive in and see. Got a confirmation of an advanced course with a friend (instructor) in malta in june next year and if I can get the money I going to go for it and bugger the fears. I just need to take control of myself. I have also decided to get a few more dives in before then to help me aswell. Thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated. I need all the help I can get.

Just get in the water. You'll screw up and make mistakes. No big deal, just get right back in.

Hell, I left my depth warning on my dive computer a couple of dives ago. Luckily, I have an understanding buddy.

Best of luck,
Peter Doege

Back
Top Bottom