Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So for whatever sick, twisted, demented reason I've decided that the best time to go to Dutch Springs for the first time will be their final weekend of the season. The only thing I can think of is I'm going to learn to truly appreciate a 7mm wet-suit.

Any other ideas of what to expect (aside form cold)? I can't imagine it'll be too crowded. Any insider tips for making the day more enjoyable?

Was at Dutch last weekend at surface temp was 62 degrees. Yhe first Thermocline is about 38 ft.- 54 degrees and 2nd thermocline around 75 feet- 46-49 degrees year round.
Dutch will not be crowded and I would suggest diving the Challenger Jet,you can see 2 large white floats at surface or you can navigate from school bus 180 degrees.

Well that seems a lot warmer than I expected - I figured surface temps would be about 50. I think I'm still going to appreciate the wet suit.

Well that seems a lot warmer than I expected - I figured surface temps would be about 50. I think I'm still going to appreciate the wet suit.

Just remember "when the going gets tough, the tough go swimming."

yes comfortable with a 7 mil- but temps will be in 40's when you get out of water.

This is the part I haven't been able to find any info on. Aside from standing in the showers for 45 minutes - what is there to do or how does one keep warm during surface intervals?

I've also never worn a wet suit (Caribbean diver) so I imagine that it has the exact opposite effect out of the water and will just get cold fast.

yes you will get cold faster with 7 mil left on- good thing to do is leave bottom on and put a hoodie on during surface interval. Plus the worst thing you could ever do is take a hot shower between dives, this opens up the pores and increases chances of hypothermia. There was one case last weekend of hypothermia at Dutch with a teenage girl.
The water on last weekend is alot warmer than opening day at beginning of April which was 42 at surface this year. I was at Dutch in Feb. for Instructor weekend and surface temp was 36 degrees but sinc I dive in a drysuit year round never a problem but habds and head was numb in 5 mil. gloves & hood...

The other thing I'd suggest is go to the pump house side. The viz is usually much better here (although without any classes Im sure it should be good most places), and you may luck out and find the ghost koi.

The other thing I'd suggest is go to the pump house side. The viz is usually much better here (although without any classes Im sure it should be good most places), and you may luck out and find the ghost koi.

Ghost Koi?

I did 2 dives last sat. from Pump Station side- vis was around 30 ft.- but there were students coming out with Instructor when I entered on dive 1 and they did a pretty good job of silting up whole area..

Back
Top Bottom