Dutch on Saturday 8/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrottheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone going to Dutch tomorrow? Any advice you guys can give a DS rookie. We (the wife and I) have never dove there before. Hope to be getting there between 9 & 10 tomorrow.

Go to the "penisula side" if you want to avoid getting tied up with OW students.

Pay attention to the "rules". Management there can be a bit "intense" about the regulations.

Picnic tables are pretty much first come,,,,etc. in theory but most dive shops use the same ones week to week. Ask to use an end if they have small classes and you need more space.

All of the attractions are very clean. There is not so much as a hanging cable or piece of glass anywhere in the deliberately sunken wrecks. Penetration is hardly that at all.

That said, if you are just visiting and not part of a class I would suggest:

Buy/ borrow a site map.
Enter at the peninsula side.

The Helicopter is the best attraction but it only takes about 10 minutes and your done.

I really enjoy going to Dutch. Most attractions have ropes between them so try to remember which ones you are using. My Favorite dive there is to enter on tyhe Pennisula side at the entrance to the right of the lookouts. (Blacktopped entrance, not the entrance near the aqua park) and swim out to the training platform. When you get to the platform turn left. At the end of the platform is a rope (line) decending to about 60'. This is the silver comet, and it takes you to near the bow. From there off the stern a line goeas to a second wreck, (same depth +/-) I think the line comes in at the stern, at about midships (?) another line runs out to the "island" and the tail of a small plane. at about 30' and warmer. and then return in reverse. Easy.

Enjoy and post back on what you think of the place...

We had a great time up at Dutch yesterday. We've read and heard alot about this place and were anxious to check it out. From where I live its only about a 1 1/2 hour drive. Got there about 10am. Taking your advice (IceSlim & ohm) we steered clear of the majority of the classes on the student side and did our dives from the peninsula. There were still classes doing dives from here, but they weren't very large. The first dive we tried a little underwater navigation and worked on our trim and bouyancy. After a nice long SI we did a second dive. We followed the wall around from the same entry point on the peninsula (to the right of the lookout on the blacktop) to the firetruck near the student side (there were no classes in the water by now).

This is great place to get in a couple of nice relaxing dives and the facilities they have there (food, showers, etc) were well kept and clean. We're already planning another trip back in a few weeks. Hope to see some of you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom