Info Newbies first gear..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00Joff00

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So fellow underwater freaks. My wife and I qualified last year and probably only have 8 or 10 dives under our belts, but we love it.
We're looking to start buying just a few of the essentials, fins, masks boots, that sort of stuff.
Any tips or advice. Definitely want open heel fins.
My wife has odd size feet between 4.5 and 5.5uk.

Don't be afraid to buy used fins. You can save a lot of money that way.

Obligatory Backplate and wing recommendation for a BCD. I got one of the Dive Gear Express packages and have been loving diving with it. BP/W is extremely customizable and the main chunk of cost is the wing itself.

I'll second the DGX D6 package. Everything you need, and you won't outgrow it.

OP is in the UK. If there are customs/import fees then DGX probably isn't the answer. Plus finding someone to service D6 gear.

But here's the BP/W package that people are recommending. It is a really good deal in the US.

Mask - Buy what fits your face best.
Booties - Buy what fits your feet best, but consider ones that cover your ankles so the straps don't rub them raw.
Fins - Scubapro Go Sport. You can thank me later. Size chart for these is spot on accurate.

If you plan to travel for diving and to do multiple dives per day, I'd suggest getting a Shearwater Peregrine dive computer if you are not buying your own regulators right away. This is an excellent choice for recreational diving - what it lacks is air integration (where a wireless transmitter is installed on your regulator and sends it tank pressure data during a dive). It's the perfect choice for folks bringing mask, fins, and booties. Great value.

So fellow underwater freaks. My wife and I qualified last year and probably only have 8 or 10 dives under our belts, but we love it.
We're looking to start buying just a few of the essentials, fins, masks boots, that sort of stuff.
Any tips or advice. Definitely want open heel fins.
My wife has odd size feet between 4.5 and 5.5uk.
Back to the basics. Are you diving locally or just warm water travel?

And I agree with @undefined on the mask and booties and fins. ScubaPro Go Sports are a great all rounder.

If you plan to travel for diving and to do multiple dives per day, I'd suggest getting a Shearwater Peregrine dive computer if you are not buying your own regulators right away. This is an excellent choice for recreational diving - what it lacks is air integration (where a wireless transmitter is installed on your regulator and sends it tank pressure data during a dive). It's the perfect choice for folks bringing mask, fins, and booties. Great value.
Completely agree with Shearwater if OP has any technical aspirations. Depending on OP's budget, I think AI is well worth investing in. If OP has no intention of getting into tech diving, might be better off for the same money getting a non-shearwater, wristwatch format, with AI. Or just ponying up for a Petrel or Perdix for the best of all worlds.
Also, consider that other models can double as wristwatches or fitness trackers, whereas the Peregrine/Perdix/Petrel are pretty much dedicated computers.

Back to the basics. Are you diving locally or just warm water travel?

And I agree with @undefined on the mask and booties and fins. ScubaPro Go Sports are a great all rounder.
Majority of our dives will be warm water.
I found some Seac Propulsion for £15, second hand, have never been used and came with a Fin bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom