Durable travelers fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokgga

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for some travelers fins to be able to put in my checked luggage. Most of the ones I have tried either break at one point or are just uncomfortable.
Anyone have any suggestions on good travelers fin?

My Oceanic Accel have been holding up pretty well. Not the most comfortable (would not wear without my 2mm booties) and the straps can be annoying (stock straps pop off fairly easily when removing the fin) though these can be changed out to a more standard strap. However, overall nice lightweight fins with decent power and actually really nice for frog kicks.

I've heard good things about the ScubaPro Go Sport fins too (Go Sport are designed for use with booties, Go Travel are designed for bare feet). I often see these at about twice the price of the Accels, but I hear good things about the Go Sports.

Also curious: which travel fins you've had that broke easily or were uncomfortable?

My Oceanic Accel have been holding up pretty well. Not the most comfortable (would not wear without my 2mm booties) and the straps can be annoying (stock straps pop off fairly easily when removing the fin) though these can be changed out to a more standard strap. However, overall nice lightweight fins with decent power and actually really nice for frog kicks.

I've heard good things about the ScubaPro Go Sport fins too (Go Sport are designed for use with booties, Go Travel are designed for bare feet). I often see these at about twice the price of the Accels, but I hear good things about the Go Sports.

Also curious: which travel fins you've had that broke easily or were uncomfortable?
Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried the Cressi Palau and Tonga and a Tusa fin which all broke near the open / gap areas.

Noticed that any fins with a large space / gap in the fin, especially if they are made from plastic and not rubber, will crack. That said, I do kick fairly hard, especially since they are smaller.

Oceanic (former Aeris) Accel is a nice fin for scuba travel with some limitations. They are 1.6 pounds each, precurved blade, easy to don strap, full foot platform and open toe.

Then there is the new all around champ. Anything the iconic JetFin can do the Scubapro Go-Sport can do equally better and at about 2+ pounds savings per pair over the rubber Jets. Each Scubapro Go-Sport weighs 1.95 pounds. Nice bungee strap, open toes, super comfortable.

Actual comparison. The Accel and the Go-Sport (and Go-Travel) are monoprene, not rubber or plastic:

There is also the Scubapro Go-Travel, not quite as large or robust as the Go-Sport. And perhaps these from Aqualung:

If you want to scuba dive with a good all around all purpose fin, Scubapro Go-Sport is the winner. I really wanted to like the Accel but despite being very similar in blade area to the Go-Sport, it just does not seem to have the go that the aptly named Go-Sport has.

Force Fin Pros : easy to fit in any suitcase or bag.Sturdy and reliable, but extremely confortable. My favourite fins. Just need 2 or 3 dives to get use to them.

You should look at the new Scubapro Super Nova fins, they are best so far and you can break them apart for easier carrying in luggage when traveling. Excellent performance, probably the best out there. There is also a "Tek" version of these fins that just came out. Stiffer blade and you can add weight plates to the blades to control the buoyancy of the fins. You can also mix and match the blades and foot pockets. You can switch the blades depending on the type of diving you are doing and you can switch the foot pockets depending on the boot size you are using. Most versatile fins out there with best performance.

Seawing SuperNova Fins

SuperNova S-Tek Fins

Here are links to threads on SB that discusses these fins:

I like the Mares x-stream
They're light and work well. I am intrigued though by the scubapro supernova fins though since that is my one drawback is the xstreams are long and require a long bag to carry them.

xstreams are long and require a long bag to carry them.
And 'long' on price.
Scubapro Go Sport are very popular travel fins here and better priced.

And 'long' on price.
Scubapro Go Sport are very popular travel fins here and better priced.
Go Sport are excellent fins, retail is a bit more than 1/2 the supernova and about double what I paid for them a few years back, between the two I’ll take the super nova as a better all around fin but the GS is no slouch.

Go Sport are excellent fins, retail is a bit more than 1/2 the supernova and about double what I paid for them a few years back, between the two I’ll take the super nova as a better all around fin but the GS is no slouch.

I went diving with my super novas this past Friday, my first dive since last December. It was fantastic. I enjoyed the fins very much. No fish but that's a different story 😔

Back
Top Bottom