Durable travelers fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i dive both the deep 6 eddy's and the SB Go Travel. I find myself packing the Go Travels for the most part so I don't have to pack my dive boots. They work just fine in most conditions.

Are there divers that can comment on these fins and/or have concerns on durability?
I have the Deep 6 Eddy fins and have been quite happy with them. They're very comfortable and have held up well. I usually carry on all my gear for travel (split between a carry-on rollaboard in the overhead and backpack under the seat in front of me) and strap the fins to the outside of my backpack. But they're short enough (Large are 21.25") that you could put them in a checked bag.

There is a heavier duty version of the Scubapro Go Sport coming out, the Go Sport Gorilla.

While identical in design to the GO Sport Fin, the Gorilla features a slightly stiffer blade and heavy-duty bungee, providing that extra umph for experienced divers maneuvering through demanding conditions. It is an excellent choice for public safety and professional services divers.

I used SP Go Travel fins in Maui for shore diving. Good with minimal currents. I moved up to Deep6 Eddy for Cozumel drift diving. Brilliant. They both seem bombproof, but the sizing is wonky. I wear size 12 shoes. My size in SP Go Travel: XXL. In Deep6 Eddy: Large. I guessed XL in each. Had to return a pair of each to get the size correct. Go figure.

I used SP Go Travel fins in Maui for shore diving. Good with minimal currents. I moved up to Deep6 Eddy for Cozumel drift diving. Brilliant. They both seem bombproof, but the sizing is wonky. I wear size 12 shoes. My size in SP Go Travel: XXL. In Deep6 Eddy: Large. I guessed XL in each. Had to return a pair of each to get the size correct. Go figure.
Hi regulated,

This is interesting. According to your judgement, the Scubapro Go fins are less suited for current than Deep6 Eddy - is this correct? I did not favour the Scubapros from the beginning, as I was suspecting this (and they are relatively heavy in comparison)...

Unfortunately it seems that the Deep6 Eddys are not available here in Europe, but I assume that the other "technical" fins in my list will have similar properties (?)...

Wolfgang

This is an interesting tread here. I am also looking for travelling fins that are #1.: light, #2.: durable and #3.: hard blade that provides very good propulsion, in case it is required. I found the following:
Gewicht (L; kg)
Apeks RK3 HD1,15
Tecline Lightjet1,00
Deep 6 Eddy1,00
Scubapro Go Travel1,38
Hollis F20,94
Mares Quattro Avanti0,90

Are there divers that can comment on these fins and/or have concerns on durability?

Thanks, Wolfgang
I normally dive Jetfins or their Poseidon equivalent with a drysuit, and I tried the Go Sport fins for warm water and didn't particularly like them. They felt too small and too soft to me. I tried the Tecline Lightjet and loved them -- it's literally a lighter Jetfin and I felt right at home with them from minute one. They seem very sturdy and well made. The spring strap is adjustable in length. The foot pocket seems designed at least somewhat with feet in mind.

IMG_2733.jpg

Scubapro Go fins
Note that there are two version of the "Go Sport" fins (and third version coming out soon. There is the "GO Sport" and the "Go Sport Travel".

The Go Sport Travel is the least stiff fins of the three and is meant for diving without boots (snorkeling, scuba). The Go Sport is the scuba diving fin with boots and it is moderately stiff and no issues in moderate currents at all. In heavy currents, you won't be trying to swim against the current anyways. It is a great fin for all kick types and even with double tanks (or SM). Not sure about drysuit however. If you want a "tech" version of the Go Sport that can do doubles/drysuit/etc., then consider the Gorilla Go Sport coming out soon.

You should also consider the Scubapro SuperNova fins and the SuperNova S Tek.

Hi regulated,

This is interesting. According to your judgement, the Scubapro Go fins are less suited for current than Deep6 Eddy - is this correct? I did not favour the Scubapros from the beginning, as I was suspecting this (and they are relatively heavy in comparison)...

Unfortunately it seems that the Deep6 Eddys are not available here in Europe, but I assume that the other "technical" fins in my list will have similar properties (?)...

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, you have it right. The SP Go Travel fins are not stiff enough to fight currents. On the one deeper dive in Maui, I was scurrying to keep up with the group. Not sure of alternate choices to the Deep6 Eddy—though they would be lightweight and moderately stiff. And see below:
Note that there are two version of the "Go Sport" fins (and third version coming out soon. There is the "GO Sport" and the "Go Sport Travel".

The Go Sport Travel is the least stiff fins of the three and is meant for diving without boots (snorkeling, scuba). The Go Sport is the scuba diving fin with boots and it is moderately stiff and no issues in moderate currents at all.

I am looking for some travelers fins to be able to put in my checked luggage. Most of the ones I have tried either break at one point or are just uncomfortable.
Anyone have any suggestions on good travelers fin?
What attributes are you looking for in a "travelers fin"?

I use a pair of Cressi Reaction fins whether I am diving local or destination diving. They fit well in my check luggage and provide good balance of power and flex whether I am flutter kicking or frog kicking. If you need a weight on them let me know and I will grab them and a luggage scale and post that in response.

-Z

What attributes are you looking for in a "travelers fin"?

I use a pair of Cressi Reaction fins whether I am diving local or destination diving. They fit well in my check luggage and provide good balance of power and flex whether I am flutter kicking or frog kicking. If you need a weight on them let me know and I will grab them and a luggage scale and post that in response.

-Z
Hi Zef,

This is an interesting post as my wife came to similar conclusions. For the last 17 years of diving she was using Cressi reaction, as they are light (good for travelling) and stiff (providing propulsion, when required). Very good for diving, she liked them a lot...

=> These Cressi reaction are, on the other side, the reason why we are now looking for other fins: While the first pair lasted for many years, the blades of this fins broke, when jumping from the Safari boat into the water (happened now two times within the last two years). It seems that they take now another material for the blades that is good for swimming, but it is just mechanically not sturdy enough...
(What regards me, I have Scubapro Jetfin at home and use Aqualung slingshot for travelling (o.k. but not outstanding fins, they have now reached the end of lifespan after many years and several times exchanging the rubber spanners (I am not shure I could get spares any more))...

Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom