Dumping Air Under Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using the rear dump valve is quick and easy. Much easier than digging out the inflator hose, pulling it out of the bungee, then re-stowing the inflator hose.

The only time I use the inflator hose to dump is if I am desperate to dump the last tiny bit of air from my wing. I go vertical and dump. I have no air in my wing during the last half of the dive, and if something happens out of the ordinary and I am too buoyant at the end then I gotta get out every last bubble of air to stay down.

Much easier than digging out the inflator hose, pulling it out of the bungee, then re-stowing the inflator hose.
I don't understand this. Why are you doing all this?

When I used to put the entire hose in the bungee loop, I only had to raise it. That's why the loop is made of bungee.

Now for me only the small inflator portion goes through the bungee loop, and raising it is a piece of cake.

Actually that is when I least need the use of inflator, right shoulder quick release will work faster. I use the inflator mostly if I am teaching or want to remind others to dump gas.
Inflator is more usefull if you want to really fine tune, release gas in smaller bursts. A beginner will need more practice in fine tuning with quick release as it requires a gentle pull.
Many/most BCDs/wings don't have right-shoulder dumps.

My BC, SP Knighthawk, has a right-sided butt dump. I have used nothing but that for about 15+ years. For descent, I start head down, right butt up and empty any gas. I do the rest of my descent horizontal unless I am in a hurry and swim head down. At depth, swimming horizontal I simply go a little head down, right butt up, very sensitive release of gas from a few bubbles to more. I ascend horizontal and do the same thing. With head down right butt up, it is easy to get all of the air out of my BC. After all this time, it is all second nature to me, I don't even think about it.

How hard are you people yanking pull dumps to rip a hose or break the elbow? The hose is designed to not be under pressure when pulled 1/2" so should be destroyed. A light pull from trim is all that is needed. Maybe an inexperienced new diver could destroy it but not someone out of OW. I keep one on my jacket and back inflate BC for the wife and friends. I don't have one on my wing because HOG has an odd sized thread. I've had 1 fail in 20 years and that was a broken cable where it rusted. I replaced the cable with some 0.031 safety wire and it works fine again.

In my wing I use my inflator at the surface to initially drop and then my butt dump the rest of the dive. I stay flat whether the ground is angled or not so the air is easy to tip out.

I have never had one fail or cable break but I use Scubapro BC's.

I have a Scubapro classic jacket I have had since 2002 and it works without any issues and still looks great. You just have to buy high quality equipment, Scubapro or Atomic, and take care of it.

Does the pull dump encourage poor trim compared with using a lower waist dump? Memories of my first and only BCD, the Apeks Black Ice, where the pull dump was so easy to use I’d never use the waist dump and end up swimming a little head up. Once I’d switched to a standard backplate and wing, that bad habit was eliminated.

One of the things I like about a standard wing is how simple it is to use.

Yeah all this wrigglingling and liftinging and general unnecessary moving around
Diving is slow, diving is about conservation, of yourselves your energy, about fun

Using the least energy possible until it's needed

So what I you do is jump in negative unless I've omitted to suck completely the air from my bc
and head down and cruise around, and when I can use the arse dump I just use the arse dump
if due to uncomplimentary angles, I can't dump, I use my mouth dump, until I can use another
dump, or when pointing a slight up, operate the shoulder, then it is hands back in the pockets

369 zzzzzz (2).jpg

Because if I'm diving at one level using my lungs I'll only dump a handful of times if that

Do you like this?
I have seen two broken elbows and a few hoses pulled off. Have you had any issues?

Dude I can't speak for others gear, and I can't really even speak of my gear
as I use so much different gear none of it has any chance to really fall apart

However as I work on, build modify service, and keep in pedantic condition
my stuff, it is only the completely unruly ocean where I have been smashed
that gear also gets smashed something very foreign to most diving on here

The plastic coated stainless rusty pull wire is also a thing of the distant past

whereby those that know replace and use instead solid nylon fishing leader

Tight lines
Happy divering
Cheers!

Yeah that hands in pockets thing, imagine falling face first towards the footpath with nothing to stop you
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom