Dumping Air Under Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that some people are overthinking this. If I'm head up and need to dump, I use the inflator. If I'm head down, I use the dump valve on the bottom of the wing. Been doing this for years and haven't had a problem yet.

You can dump from both:
  • From the dump valve you need to raise the bum up and the side the valve is on upwards
  • You can dump from the inflator by putting it further behind than your neck to force it to be above the rest of the wing, this is useful if you are in heads up trim

I add shoulder dumps to all my wings

The fastest safest way in an emergency
So it would seem that

I add shoulder dumps to all my wings

The fastest safest way in an emergency
Is the added shoulder dump just to avoid using the inflator which is already a kind of shoulder dump?

Well can you just see this Litefooted dude

My hoses following the contour of my shoulder and along my chest stopping in front of the spg

226 ZZZ.jpg

well it never has to move from there whether inflating or dumping

226 ZZZz (2)zz.jpg

or you can do this ingrained stupidity

337 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

All the gear and no idea

Did you know that the reason that this unnecessary lifting has continued since the horsecollar
is so the diving "instructor" can observe their charges at least attempt to dump on the surface
so when Simon says go down, the one with the dump down or pushing the inflator button up
is the one that isn't

And of course those benign divers that only use their arse dump, very good, however one day

When some require immediate dumping of almost all air in fast seconds the shoulder will save them
from a too fast up

No matter your experience

Using the inflator dump is good when on the surface so that all/most gas is let out of the BCD and you sink more quickly for the first few metres/feet. You can dump if flat on the surface using the hip dump, but this often leaves gas in the BCD so you may need to fin down a bit until the remaining gas in the BCD is compressed.

Thereafter you’ll be diving flat and using the hip dump.

I haven't dumped air with my inflator hose for at least 25 years.
Not even when you initially submerge?

Well can you just see this Litefooted dude

My hoses following the contour of my shoulder and along my chest stopping in front of the spg

View attachment 774263

well it never has to move from there whether inflating or dumping

View attachment 774264

or you can do this ingrained stupidity

d

All the gear and no idea

Did you know that the reason that this unnecessary lifting has continued since the horsecollar
is so the diving "instructor" can observe their charges at least attempt to dump on the surface
so when Simon says go down, the one with the dump down or pushing the inflator button up
is the one that isn't

And of course those benign divers that only use their arse dump, very good, however one day

When some require immediate dumping of almost all air in fast seconds the shoulder will save them
from a too fast up

No matter your experience
Unfortunately, pulling the shoulder dump can stress the wing/BCD material where the dump valve attaches. Not good.

Litefoot, on paper the hip dump does look like it's in the wrong spot.

But if you look at the pic Happy posted you get a good visual of where it rides underwater, kind of to the side and somewhat in line with the shoulder hose. With a doughnut a slight raise if the hip is all it takes to "burp" or dump the wing as needed. A little practice and it will become second nature.

I'm not a fan of the shoulder dump with the wire in the hose. The connections break and the hoses get cracks from being pulled on. Keep in mind the purpose for the hose is oral inflation (or dumpng) if needed. Use it to dump when vertical or swim down and dump from the hip and be proficient at both.

Posting as an alternative point of view briefly. I've never used my rear dump. Ever. My left shoulder has limited counter rotation from an old injury making it easy to reach behind my head but unable to reach down and around to my lower back. I therefore cannot reach my pull dump. I use my inflator dump exclusively. It works just fine and can be done in trim with a slight rotation to my right bringing the inflator higher up on my left. It of course can be used heads up as well. I can't really dump while heads down, but I don't ever need to.

I've looked at the few wings where the dump can be moved to the right side. I don't care for them for a number of reasons I won't get into here. One of these days I may pay for a custom Halcyon or Light Monkey wing with the dump on the right, but after 750 dives without using my rear pull dump, it clearly isn't a necessity for the diving I do.

While I have a very long term aversion to the pull dump as Happy suggested it can be a very handy item in use. If you tend to be slightly head up while diving a very slight pull on the hose will vent easily and doesn’t require any other maneuvering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom