Dumping Air Under Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...dumping...

Heh, heh.
You said "dumping."

download.jpg

Hmph...I thought they were there so if your inflator valve failed you could "tug the hose" to buy yourself a second to disconnect the inflator hose...shows what I know. :) The only time I use mine is end of trip rinse while doing the Zeagle/garden hose water show...:clearmask:

In theory pull dumps are great. In reality they are a maintenance hassle of limited positive value, and more than once I've seen people pull on hoses so hard they rip them off the shoulder connecter.

They are also a complete pain during a rescue class. They get pulled accidentally pretty regularly and end up dropping the patient back underwater, or to the bottom, depending on when it gets pulled. Entertaining to watch for sure though!

In theory pull dumps are great. In reality they are a maintenance hassle of limited positive value, and more than once I've seen people pull on hoses so hard they rip them off the shoulder connecter.

They are also a complete pain during a rescue class. They get pulled accidentally pretty regularly and end up dropping the patient back underwater, or to the bottom, depending on when it gets pulled. Entertaining to watch for sure though!
A really good point. The standard hose dump needs a positive action to dump. It’s possible that should the valve fail, e.g. jams or spring fails, it should be possible to stop the leak with your hand over the “mouthpiece”.

With the pull dump, any pull on the hose can dump. A panicking diver could, maybe, pull the dump. Similarly pull the dump if dekitting on the surface.

In other words, the normal dump needs a positive action to activate the dump, whereas the pull dump can be involuntarily activated. Convenience comes at a risk.

I would like to know if the Mares XR REC wing dump valve is a standard size or not , anybody knows?
Thx

I only shoulder dump now, as of a few weeks ago when I was soundly schooled after reading Happy’s post. It’s the best. Breath out and pull and I am sinking in perfect trim and equalising before all those other hand up suckers. Owe you a ginger beer mate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom