Dump Valve Doo-hickey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were you I would unscrew the top portion of the OPV and replace it with this.

I'm fairly certain it is interchangeable with the Halcyon part but I would call Tobin at DSS to make sure first. This dump valve works very nicely and has a much thicker string. Tie a second knot about half an inch to an inch above the original knot and it will be much easier to find, too.

If I were you I would unscrew the top portion of the OPV and replace it with this.

I'm fairly certain it is interchangeable with the Halcyon part but I would call Tobin at DSS to make sure first. This dump valve works very nicely and has a much thicker string. Tie a second knot about half an inch to an inch above the original knot and it will be much easier to find, too.

Holy %$#$%#...20 bucks and shipping time to take a knob off? Are you off your rocker?

Even if you wanted the thicker line...10 min, new string and a blob of aquaseal.

DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I sort of figured the grommets were for drainage but wanted confirmation. Cool, I've never seen that before.

I've sent an email to Halcyon about the doo-hickey and I'm awaiting a reply. The idea that something so obvious slipped by inspection makes me a bit nervous. If they missed that glaring error......

Anyway, once I get an official answer I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Holy %$#$%#...20 bucks and shipping time to take a knob off? Are you off your rocker?

Even if you wanted the thicker line...10 min, new string and a blob of aquaseal.

DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve

Jeff,

I'm surprised at your reaction, you are usually better informed.

We are not selling a length of string for $20.

The DSS Basic OPV kit includes 5 parts: The soft seat, Modified Seat Retainer (required for larger cord), the SS spring, the 3mm kernmantle cord, and the OPV Cover.

The DSS seat retainer, i.e. the piece that accepts the line and knot is taller, and has a larger recess to accommodate the larger knot that thicker line requires. This taller seat retainer in turn requires a taller cage or cover.

Using a larger diameter cord with the OEM seat retainer requires melting a ball on the end of the line in order to fit into the small recess. These ball can an do pull off.

You can see these details here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3564531-post3.html

We furnish these new OPV's on all current DSS wings, and have sold ~100 for retrofit on to older DSS wings and onto other brands of wings.

The feedback has been quite positive.

Tobin

and have sold ~100 for retrofit on to older DSS wings and onto other brands of wings.

The feedback has been quite positive.

Tobin

I haven't provided any feedback, but I love mine. I switched the OPV on my doubles wing, and the larger cord makes all the difference in the world after a hand-numbingly long dive.

My suspicion is that this one got through by mistake.

We saw them in EE like this so I doubt this one just slipped by.

We saw them in EE like this so I doubt this one just slipped by.

Yup. My bad for guessing at/posting a reason before reading the thread.

For what it's worth, I've taken the "knobs" off both my singles and doubles wings (Oxy). All you have to do is slide the ball down towards the OPV, undo the knot, take the "knob" off, and re-tie the not. No cutting necessary. You may need needle-nose pliers if the knot is hard to get at.

Danny

For what it's worth, I've taken the "knobs" off both my singles and doubles wings (Oxy). All you have to do is slide the ball down towards the OPV, undo the knot, take the "knob" off, and re-tie the not. No cutting necessary. You may need needle-nose pliers if the knot is hard to get at.

Just cut the effin knot. Why do extra dicking around if you don't have to? That's just nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom