Dump Valve Doo-hickey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flareless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday a knock on the door brought me my new Halcyon Evolve 60 wing. It was like Santa came early. Anyway, although I'm not DIR I've adopted a lot of their thinking/protocol (I know, I know, I've read the lectures...). One thing I noticed about the new wing made me nearly fall over; There was a plastic pull doo-hickey hanging from the end of its dump valve!

PC080007_2.jpg

Now, I like the thinking that this little nub can get caught up between slung bottles and dump when you least expect it. Probably when it's most life threatening. I've been practically ridiculed when I was diving my OMS 94 for the size of it's doo-hickeys. They are freaking huge!

Back to the point at hand; What the heck is up with this!!??!?! I'm going to cut the thing off but why would the mother-ship be sending out these death-dumps on their new rigs? Has the DIR standard changed? Even in Dress for Success you can see the nicely knotted ends of the dump cable. Although it was a pain I'm finally really comfortable dumping my existing Explorer's valve. It took some time with the Explorer, especially in dry-gloves but now I prefer the knot to the big honkin' bobble.

One other question; What are the two grommet holes in the bottom of the wing for?

PC080010.jpg

Just curious....

Despite the oddity I set the wing up. It's really a thing of beauty. I like the way the air balances itself out. I put it on and it feels comfortable although having a pillow under my tushy will take some getting used to.

Here's my new toy all set up

PC080015.jpg

I can't wait to get it into the water!

There was a plastic pull doo-hickey hanging from the end of its dump valve!...

Back to the point at hand; What the heck is up with this!!??!?! I'm going to cut the thing off but why would the mother-ship be sending out these death-dumps on their new rigs?

Call Halcyon and bust their balls. It shouldn't be there.

One other question; What are the two grommet holes in the bottom of the wing for?

Water drainage.

I'm guessing they are there because some people like them, and they are easier to take off than put on...but I'm not Halcyon, so that's just my guess.

Cut it off, tie a knot, burn the end so it doesn't fray....I also would not want that big hunk of plastic on my dump valve. I would be a bit surprised if Halcyon added it on there because people like it, but I suppose they have to do what's going to keep them in business.

I believe the ball is a requirement for the CE certification for the European Union. If you don't like it, remove it. Get the rope wrench and a lighter.

At least the string looks plenty long enough to cut off the ball and tie a nice big knot. My Oxycheq was so short that I had to put on a new string.

At least the string looks plenty long enough to cut off the ball and tie a nice big knot. My Oxycheq was so short that I had to put on a new string.

I put new strings in all my Halcyon wings, just to get a thicker string.

I haven't seen a new wing for a bit, so I don't know if they come with the same thin little string. (But it looks thin in the picture)

I doubt Halcyon builds the dump valves. They're likely COTS mass produced parts.

My suspicion is that this one got through by mistake.

I doubt Halcyon builds the dump valves. They're likely COTS mass produced parts.

My suspicion is that this one got through by mistake.

This sound like a more plausible reason.

I believe the ball is a requirement for the CE certification for the European Union.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom