Dump Valve Doo-hickey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Anyway, although I'm not DIR ... There was a plastic pull doo-hickey hanging from the end of its dump valve!
Obviously, DIR intelligence service in cooperation with DIR police recognized somehow that you were not DIR and decided to ship you non-DIR version of wing :D

Shorter by about 5mm. Big freakin' deal.

Newbies...sigh...

Two minutes saved by making it shorter. Big freakin' deal.

Lazy people...sigh...

Jeff,

I'm surprised at your reaction, you are usually better informed.

We are not selling a length of string for $20.

The DSS Basic OPV kit includes 5 parts: The soft seat, Modified Seat Retainer (required for larger cord), the SS spring, the 3mm kernmantle cord, and the OPV Cover.

The DSS seat retainer, i.e. the piece that accepts the line and knot is taller, and has a larger recess to accommodate the larger knot that thicker line requires. This taller seat retainer in turn requires a taller cage or cover.

Using a larger diameter cord with the OEM seat retainer requires melting a ball on the end of the line in order to fit into the small recess. These ball can an do pull off.

You can see these details here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3564531-post3.html

We furnish these new OPV's on all current DSS wings, and have sold ~100 for retrofit on to older DSS wings and onto other brands of wings.

The feedback has been quite positive.

Tobin
I'm not commenting on the replacement OPV. If I needed to replace a broken one, i would look at it. The comment is about spending money on something that for $0 I have replaced all the thin strings with thick ones on my Halcyon wings. and I didn't have to wait to have it shipped. YMMV

I'm not commenting on the replacement OPV. If I needed to replace a broken one, i would look at it. The comment is about spending money on something that for $0 I have replaced all the thin strings with thick ones on my Halcyon wings. and I didn't have to wait to have it shipped. YMMV

Jeff,

Following your preferred method detailed here
DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve

Limits the size of the line to #36 , which is only slightly larger than the "stock" cord, and it requires the knot be melted to fit in the recess as shown here
thumb_dump_burned2.jpg
thumb_dump_burned.jpg

To quote Dir-diver

Make a knot and burn it so that it fits inside.
It's important that it doesn't stick up.
It may take a couple of tries to get it right...

The DSS OPV allows the use of 3mm kernmantle cord without melting, and forming a "ball" on the end of the string.

Tobin

Jeff,

Following your preferred method detailed here
DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve

Limits the size of the line to #36 , which is only slightly larger than the "stock" cord, and it requires the knot be melted to fit in the recess as shown here
thumb_dump_burned2.jpg
thumb_dump_burned.jpg

To quote Dir-diver

Make a knot and burn it so that it fits inside.
It's important that it doesn't stick up.
It may take a couple of tries to get it right...

The DSS OPV allows the use of 3mm kernmantle cord without melting, and forming a "ball" on the end of the string.

Tobin
Well, I didn't follow that website when I did mine (and I am too lazy to create a new page to show what I did.). I just put a big old string in. Drilled a bigger hole and removed a chunk of rubber from the stopper to fit the knot.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Well I have noticed that the DSS dump valve seems to work nicer than the ones on my other wings...not sure why though. That was the other reason I recommended it.

Honestly though, cutting off the end and re-tying a knot would probably be easiest.

I can't believe we're all arguing over a ball of plastic and a knot or two. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom