Dumbing down of scuba certification courses (PADI) - what have we missed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably ill advised to jettison weights during an entanglement. The issue is one of becoming exceedingly bouyant if you doff your weight integrated BC. It's.a skill not taught through shops only using weight belts.I fully believe that we should be teaching them to use the gear they will be using.
Posted via Mobile Device

For academics only, I believe it offers most students a better learning environment, including consistency, convenience and thoroughness. There is no need for a sage on the stage to imbue you with the wonders and mystery of diving during academics. There is plenty of time for that during the more important practical portion of the class. Indeed, freeing me from classroom duties allows me more time in the pool and in open water. That's what my students really need.

I am not a fan of having elearning replace the interactions of an Instructor. I believe that it can be helpful as an adjunct to an academic course, but to replace it can be dangerous. You cannot talk to a computer. You can ask a computer for clarification of a misunderstood point. The computer cannot tell you that what you think you know...you don't actually know. The computer cannot calm a frustrated student. Diving is a human interaction sport. An Instructor is (supposedly) trained to educate and enlighten students on various aspects of diving. As convenient as the computer has become, it still cannot replace, nor should it replace the relationship between a student and an Instructor. I think elearning exclusively, as it relates to comprehending the academic portion of scuba training, offers a poor learning environment (for the reasons listed above), is convenient only to the Instructor who does not take the time to actually teach their students, and does a disservice to the student who wants and needs to actually be taught by a competent Instructor. When I did my PADI OW course I did the elearning and really liked it. The basics were covered. My Instructor then put me through a complete lecture course which I found invaluable and really drove home the concepts touched on in the videos and the computer programs. I think elearning has its place in the academic arena. I just don't think it should be a stand alone method for educating divers. I taught medical students and residents how to practice medicine for just under a decade. I shutter to think what kind of physicians they would have become if they learned how to be a doctor by just watching some videos.

You cannot talk to a computer. You can ask a computer for clarification of a misunderstood point. The computer cannot tell you that what you think you know...you don't actually know. The computer cannot calm a frustrated student. .

I have not taught an online scuba course, but I have taught and designed many on online learning course. It was once my sole profession. Quality online learning courses includ--indeed, require--regular contact with an instructor. A well designed course can do all of what you say a computer cannot do because that computer provides you with access to a qualified instructor.

I have not taught an online scuba course, but I have taught and designed many on online learning course. It was once my sole profession. Quality online learning courses includ--indeed, require--regular contact with an instructor. A well designed course can do all of what you say a computer cannot do because that computer provides you with access to a qualified instructor.

I agree completely. There are many positive things about online learning and exposure to diving materials in a well taught online course that are beneficial. I liked my online course through PADI. My only concern is that it not replace the interactions that a student must have with a qualified Instructor. They are nice adjuncts, but direct involvement by an Instructor of the academics of scuba diving are IMO mandatory.

An online course will never be able to teach or test water skills. Really, that's what we really need and want instructors for. Online learning is pretty awesome in it's ability to deliver consistently and systematically. It never forgets a point or a topic. Having access to an instructor for those questions you just can't figure out is a given!

Again, this is applicable to MOST (not all) students. I am sure that there are some who can not learn online.

An online course will never be able to teach or test water skills. Really, that's what we really need and want instructors for.

I think we need Instructors to do more that just teach and test water skills. I think they are an integral part of the academic learning of each student. While a computer never forgets, it also can think beyond its programming. It cannot answer questions it is not programmed to answer. Instructors are instrumental in making sure that students comprehend the knowledge that's before them and making sure they can use that information in an intelligent and practical manner. Again, I am a fan of having access to online educational material. I would suggest that having an Instructor be an active part of any academic session should be mandatory.

On-line "courses" are to books what dive computers are to tables ... nothing more than an alternate way to present random access data. While an on-line course may present information in a way that is easier, for some, to absorb, is no more a replacement for a good instructor than a computer is a replacement for the uptake and elimination model that it is based on.

I would suggest that having an Instructor be an active part of any academic session should be mandatory.
You are basing this on what? Personal feelings or facts? You no sooner need someone to teach you that some how Boyles Law means "Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode Stupid", than you need to hold your breath while ascending to show that it's an immutable law for all intents and purposes.

While this is still in it's infancy, e-learning is making all sorts of strides: Electronic learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I know for certain that I would much rather have my students hear my strident pleas to dive safely from MORE than just me. Repetition is at the very core of retention, and having that repetition come from different media sources is even that much better.

You are basing this on what? Personal feelings or facts? You no sooner need someone to teach you that some how Boyles Law means "Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode Stupid", than you need to hold your breath while ascending to show that it's an immutable law for all intents and purposes.

While this is still in it's infancy, e-learning is making all sorts of strides: Electronic learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I know for certain that I would much rather have my students hear my strident pleas to dive safely from MORE than just me. Repetition is at the very core of retention, and having that repetition come from different media sources is even that much better.

I see this is traveling down a familiar prickly path from reading previous posts from you. If you truly believe that your students learn as much from using elearning EXCLUSIVELY than they do from you participating in their academic progression, then perhaps you need to explore non teaching endeavors. I base my comment on spending 8 years of actively training medical students and residents to become physicians. I know they would have very little, if any chance of being successful with out an experienced Instructor to participate in their educational experiences. If physicians require direct contact to become competent, I would propose that dive students should receive no less.

I would ask you ...Where does YOUR data come from that elearning exclusively is as effective as elearning in conjunction with an Instructor? You become increasingly defensive when someone shows you the error of your philosophical ways. I was trying to show some support for your theory, and again, I like elearning as an adjunctive tool. Until you can show me proof that elearning students function as well as those who learn with an Instructor, then your opinions are of no greater value than mine. What if your student does not understand Boyle's Law? What does the computer say when he/she is confused about the concept of volume and pressure? What if the computer can not explain the differences between density, volume and pressure? Do you tell the student to go ask the computer? Your proposed method illustrates your laziness to actually interact with your students. Get off your behind and actually talk to your students about their academic concerns. That's one of the things you are paid to do when they sign up for your course. Otherwise, send them to me and I'll fill in the academic blanks that the computer cannot answer.

I thought I'd chime in on the online academics discussion, having been recently certified through SDI online academics. I enjoyed doing the online format becasue I could work at my own pace and spend my time and effort on the topics that I found most challenging. Plus, as NetDoc mentioned, I didn't need to put up with the Sage on Stage and could spend more time in the water doing practical apps with my instructor (and hearing his sage advice then...). I am fortunate enough to live where I'll be doing most of my diving, but I can see where online learning would be especially practical for someone taking a vacation, wanting to do some diving, and not wanting to spend a good part of their vaca in the classroom.

The only recommendation I have with online learning is to see if you can have some equipment available to you so you can actually see and touch and therefore better understand some of the equipment related portions of the course. I also found it helpful to review my online sessions after my in-water instruction for reinforcement.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions those considering diving have about the online course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom