Dumbing down of scuba certification courses (PADI) - what have we missed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe what he was getting at is that PADI encourages students to get involved in further training, requiring more instructor supervised dives, so that the new OW diver will get more experience without being "on their own" and at a greater risk. By making it "further training", they don't make it sound like, "You're still a rank novice and are statistically a high risk to hurt yourself, so somebody better keep an eye on you." It's far more flattering to make it sound like, "Now that you're a certified OW diver, why not get more training in these specialties?"

No, he made this original statement:

Since you're still alive and diving, then PADI must have worked out for you. The risk is mostly during the first 10 dives with a PADI cert. Congrats, you made it!

Then he was challenged as to where he got that information, and that is when he said it was internal PADI information. My question is more about the validity of both his original "first 10 dives" statement being where you are likely to die, and his statement that this is an "internal" PADI statistic given to their instructors.

I would like to see some verification of either or both statements.

String-Bean, those are internal PADI stats.

Bull****. Prove it. Lets see the paperwork. Odd if its internal padi stats nobody else has heard of it. Now OWSIs, not MSDTs, not even course directors. This "internal" report is so secret that nobody in PADI or who teaches padi has heard of it except you. Amazing.

Let's face it - you're making up stuff on the spot and like many other posts when repeatedly asked for refences you are unable to start inventing elaborate lies to get out of the hole you've dug yourself.

Lets see the DAN, BSAC or other incident reports which if what you stated were true would pick up a 10 dive trend...Oh look - there is no trend in ANY of the available accident data.

You really need to stop inventing garbage and then failing to back any of it up.

Bull****. Prove it. Lets see the paperwork. Odd if its internal padi stats nobody else has heard of it. Now OWSIs, not MSDTs, not even course directors. This "internal" report is so secret that nobody in PADI or who teaches padi has heard of it except you. Amazing.

Let's face it - you're making up stuff on the spot and like many other posts when repeatedly asked for refences you are unable to start inventing elaborate lies to get out of the hole you've dug yourself.

Lets see the DAN, BSAC or other incident reports which if what you stated were true would pick up a 10 dive trend...Oh look - there is no trend in ANY of the available accident data.

You really need to stop inventing garbage and then failing to back any of it up.

Heard about it myself at the local 5 star PADI facility.

The C/D was emphasizing to the local OWSIs and DMs "we NEED to get the students to sign up for AOW because ... ."

Doubting-Thomas, you can doubt all you want to. If you are the PADI OWSI, then it is your problem not mine.:rofl3:

Heard about it myself at the local 5 star PADI facility.

The C/D was emphasizing to the local OWSIs and DMs "we NEED to get the students to sign up for AOW because ... ."

Doubting-Thomas, you can doubt all you want to. If you are the PADI OWSI, then it is your problem not mine.:rofl3:

So you heard one guy say something, and assume it is official PADI doctrine? I have not only never heard anything like that, and I know after working for years with the two PADI course directors in our shop, neither one believes anything remotely close to that.

As someone who worked for the National Underwater Accident Data Center I'd have to say that to the best of my recollection the "first 10 dive" thing is a pretty good approximation if you throw the cave and technical accidents out of the data set.

So you heard one guy say something, and assume it is official PADI doctrine? I have not only never heard anything like that, and I know after working for years with the two PADI course directors in our shop, neither one believes anything remotely close to that.

See, that is precisely how the vortex from Putting Another Dollar In works, it sucks you in, until you become a true believer.

Eventually you end up needing deprogramming.:eyebrow:

I suspect that any PADI diver who has survived their first 10 dives has accomplished a miracle.
That is, just perhaps, a bit of an overstatement.

I suspect that any PADI diver who has survived their first 10 dives has accomplished a miracle.

:shakehead:I "survived 3500+ of them so get real.Nothing to do with a miracle,just good training:mooner:
If you don't like PADI, why do you read the threads about them.:confused:

BTW so do ALL my students.:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom