Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
In a rush to get a wetsuit from the rental shop, picked a females suit. Thought it was feeling a little weird but dove it anyway. On the way back I thought I'll buy it for $70.00. Dove that thing for a year until I looked it at oneday and the saw the (.)(.).........

Hey ShakaZulu, r u shure, deep down inside, you didn't REALLY want that wetsuit :)

I mean, by the looks of your avatar maybe there's something going on there :eyebrow:

In open water, on a platform I flooded my mask from the bottom up, that was no fun. And I also stuck my snorkel in my mouth instead of my AIR II during OW.

The dumnest thing: has to be the time we packed for a camping/dive weekend at Bonecho Prov park. Packed tent, sleeping bags, food, cooking gear, colman stove lantern etc,
Packed 2 tanks for each of us, wet suits, regulators,BC's weight belts, even a float and flag.
We were all set for a week end of camping and 2 dives each, accept for the masks and fins we left hanging on the drying wrack.

Dope! What a Homer.
Only did it once though, a least I learned from my mistake.

Mike D

fun thread

Last month I put a tarp out with all my gear on it sort of half behind a parked car that I assumed belonged to someone in my group. I was wrong...

The woman left while I was between dives...and she drove over my gear in the process. We heard a bone-chilling crunch and everyone started yelling at her to stop, so she put it in reverse and backed up over my gear again.

Get this -- the crunch was the sound of my plastic mask box being crushed, but my mask was not in it. She ran over the strap of my computer but not the computer itself. And she completely missed the reg, bc and everything else -- twice!

I figure that's my luck for the year.

I was buying my B/P wing so I hooked it up to a tank to make sure the wing didn't leak.
Filled the sucker up untill the relief burped.
I then showed my kid that you could also manually inflate it.
Problem was that it forced a large amount of air into my gut because of it being pressurized to the max.
I was sick all afternoon and had the worst burps.
Extreemly unpleasant.

forgot to put batteries in backup light durning a day dive.(why is this light floating and getting on my nerves so much?)
decided not to remove all my gear to "relieve" myself(drysuit) before my wreck cert dive figuring i could hold it, was in pain while on the surface swim back and was about to go in my drysuit. next time ill use the "new" relief zipper.
in bahamas, 2 different dive boats in area, my 2nd dive since my ow cert, first non quarry dive, ascended on wrong boat anchor line with about 200psi with my buddy. (didnt recognize anyone)

Piston:
In open water, on a platform I flooded my mask from the bottom up, that was no fun.

I don't get this one. If I need to flood my mask I always do it from the bottom. Is flooding it from the top somehow better?

I don't like to flood from the top, because hair has a tendancy to get under the mask skirt then and cause leaking.

Xanthro

i didnt think there was a wrong way to practice flooding your mask, since it is important to practice in case someone kicks your mask off and that would be a little unexpected and could go anydirection.

Hey I did something stupid...again!!!

Planning a few shore dives last weekend, being the lazy guy that I am I copied and pasted the times from tidesonline.com.

Except instead of Sat, Sun, Mon, I copied Thur, Fri, Sat. So when we got in for the dive on Sunday, instead of getting in just before slack, we got in almost exactly halfway between Low and High tide. Our group got separated into 3 groups (actually 2 groups and me by myself).

We had to actually hold onto the poles on one of the docks in the marina. Current was so strong that if I wasn't perfectly square on the pole, the current would push my tank and almost pull me off the pole.

So after about 25min of the 2 divers who were able to get to a ladder sitting on the dock and taking some pictures of us hanging there, current slowed down enough that we were able to swim to the wall and climb up the ladder.

Back
Top Bottom