Dumb Question, Regarding Steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLew:
I also have an old steel 72 with a manufacture date of 1961. I was told by the LDS
that after 2001 it was no longer usable. The reason was that the ICC / DOT life life of these tanks was 40 years.

Has anyone else heard of this policy?
Nope. Sounds like your LDS might be suffering from an all too common genetic anomoly: a larynx in his lower GI. Ask him to put it in writing.

There are still steel welding cylinders in service that were manufactured near the turn of the century. The oldest I have personally seen was made in 1909 and it passed its hydro just fine. BY that standard, a well maintained steel 72 made in 1961 isn't even middle aged yet as there is no life span limits on these tanks. They can remain in service as long as they continue to pass hydro and VIP inspections.

The most commonly encountered limited life span tanks are composite wrapped aluminum SCBA tanks used by fire departments. The life span on these tanks is 15 years.

Exemptions vary but many are renewed every 2-3 years. If the manufacuturer goes out of business or chooses for some reason not to renew the exemption the tank cannot be hydroed after the current exemption expires and is worth its weight in scrap steel. Buying an exempt cylinder is a great profession of faith in the long lasting health and goodwill of the company.

I suspect that when the last of the latest and greatest E series scuba tanks have long since been condemned, divers will still be diving ICC/DOT 3AA steel 72's.

Back
Top Bottom