Dumb Question, Regarding Steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I just started diving again. My brother gave me his two old steel 72's. My local LDS says that they are the type with non-tapered threads and galvanized. They were out of hydro and holding air. Both tanks are equipped with old style J-valves, with the small metal knob on top. I've had one inspected and filled (cost $35), the LDS disabled the reserve feature on the J-valve. He offered to replace the valve, but wanted $45, and I'm cheap. But he also indicated there was nothing wrong with existing valve.

I had planned on using the tanks for shallow water diving to refresh my skills (I've already taken a refresher and made a few dives, but my bouyancy control sucks). But after reading some of the posts in this conference. I am wondering if I have a good thing here, for a future set of doubles?

Thanks for any input.

Tom
Fishy 8411

I would kick some butt if they screwed with my J valves.

You can certainly set them up as doubles. OTOH, you may want to keep them as singles. Do they have the wingnut style valve?

Fishy8411:
I had planned on using the tanks for shallow water diving to refresh my skills (I've already taken a refresher and made a few dives, but my bouyancy control sucks). But after reading some of the posts in this conference. I am wondering if I have a good thing here, for a future set of doubles?

Thanks for any input.

Tom
Fishy 8411
I think you have a good thing there ... at least for starting out with doubles. Steel tanks are pretty spendy ... but of course their making them bigger now too. Just don't be "cheap" when you get your manifolds. You don't want to have to start over since the manifolds are going to cost you a little as well as a backplate and wing. I also have to agree that disabling the J portion was a good thing, especially since you haven't been diving for awhile. You don't want to accidentaly turn the reserve off.

As long as the tanks are properly managed with a good visual inspection and hydo test; you are good to go! I know a number of people diving double 72s (None of them are air hogs tho' :D)

I also agree with keeping the old valves but dismantling the reserve. BTW, all that needs doing to do that is removing a spring -I don't think that it is too complex.... :54: Proper gas management using a SPG is better than the old reserve.

Departure Dive is right on as well... Don't skimp on the manifolds or bands.

Walter:
I would kick some butt if they screwed with my J valves.

You can certainly set them up as doubles. OTOH, you may want to keep them as singles. Do they have the wingnut style valve?

Yeah, the old wingnut style.

Tom

If you are too cheap to buy new valves then you are not a candidate for diving doubles IMO.

However maaaaybe you declined to have the LDS replace the valve because you are shrewd and plan to purchase a doubles manifold from divers-supply.com (for $130~$150 depending on who you talk to there and what you say) and would have no need for the replacement k-valves.

Uncle Pug:
If you are too cheap to buy new valves then you are not a candidate for diving doubles IMO.

However maaaaybe you declined to have the LDS replace the valve because you are shrewd and plan to purchase a doubles manifold from divers-supply.com (for $130~$150 depending on who you talk to there and what you say) and would have no need for the replacement k-valves.

Nah, I was too cheap because I have no definite long term plan for the tanks. Other than some shallow (less than 30') water diving. But, is there something wrong with a disabled J-valve? The man at the LDS was their tech. When I pressed him, he indicated that there was nothing wrong with my old J-valve. He sounded more like he wanted to make a sale.

Tom

There's nothing wrong with a J valve that hasn't been disabled. I wouldn't want one that was disabled.

"If you are too cheap to buy new valves then you are not a candidate for diving doubles IMO."

Why would anyone, cheap or not, buy new valves when the old ones are perfectly fine? Doesn't seem like a wise course of action.

"Yeah, the old wingnut style."

I would have them restored to their original condition and use them as singles. What's the original hydro date? These sound like classics.

I have an old" steel 72 and use it just like my "newer" steel 75's. There's no need to stay shallow with this tank. As long as it passes visual and hydro, you're good to go.

IMHO disabling the J valve is a reasonble thing to do. Many years ago we used similar tanks in open water classes and students were always forgetting to put the valve in the open position.

Back
Top Bottom