Dumb Question, Regarding Steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are using the J for vintage dives with no SPG, leave the lever down all the time and it is a K valve. You never bump it up by mistake and it has to be down to fill anyway. There's no reason to disable a J valve.

Actually, with the lever up an SPG will show the actual amount until the spring shuts down the valve. The SPG will go from about 300 PSI to zero as quickly as you breath the air out of the regulator. With my Sherwood, that's one breath, with my MK 10, it's about 7 breaths.

Snowbear:
I just wish I held up as well as those old tanks. I'm more like those 6351 alloy Luxfers that many dive shops won't fill any more :wink:
Cracking under the sustained load, eh?

I also have an old steel 72 with a manufacture date of 1961. I was told by the LDS
that after 2001 it was no longer usable. The reason was that the ICC / DOT life life of these tanks was 40 years.

Has anyone else heard of this policy?

Uncle Pug:
If you are too cheap to buy new valves then you are not a candidate for diving doubles IMO.

However maaaaybe you declined to have the LDS replace the valve because you are shrewd and plan to purchase a doubles manifold from divers-supply.com (for $130~$150 depending on who you talk to there and what you say) and would have no need for the replacement k-valves.

Geez Pug...everysolution isn't online.

Maybe his local shop was already treating him fairly and taking care of him so he wasn't going to immediately run online and buy it from someone who has done nothing for him other than take his money.

The answer to quality and service isn't always who has the cheapest price and believe it or not many LDS's have good prices and back it up with service.

If I had said come and buy it off me my post would have been pulled faster than you can say liesure pro.

ScubaLew:
I also have an old steel 72 with a manufacture date of 1961. I was told by the LDS
that after 2001 it was no longer usable. The reason was that the ICC / DOT life life of these tanks was 40 years.

Whatever he's smoking has to be good stuff. There is no limit on ICC/DOT 3AA tanks in the regulations provided they pass hydro and visual.

FT

ScubaLew:

Sounds like the shop wants you to buy a new tank from him...

The only limitation I've ver heard of is the "exemptions" that are issued for a new design/standard, that does not fall under the established categories. These must be renewed (I think it's every 6 years) by the manufacturer. If the mfg closes, then no one else can renew and after the current period expres the cylinders are no longer valid. I know there are a few of that category cylinder out there, I don't know of any scuba cylinder that has been affected by the rule though.
Any time someone tells me there a rule or law like that, I'll ask to see a copy.

He must be on crack. I have two old steel 72's that the first hydro date was 1958. There're still good, still in hydro and I still dive with them occasionally. My advise is to run, not walk, away from this guy. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom