Dumb Question, Regarding Steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are no dumb questions just dumb answers- Here's one now- USE them until they wont pass Hydro! A cylinder is a cylinder- I personaly only use DIN type fittings but I have access to them at cost-

I have an AL80 with a J valve.
I keep it functional because it is not a problem in normal diving and there are (were) special working dives that I had to do on SCUBA. When working it is a major advantage to be able to concentrate on the job.

The J will let me know my air status without my needing to look at the SPG nearly as much. On my rig I can feel the difference and tell when I am at 800 psi. Even at 400 psi I can suck air past the J but it is easy to reach back and flip the lever.

Would I buy annother J valve, especially new? No, unless it was a 'great' deal.
I would not pass up a deal on a tank just because it had a J, nor would I disable the J.

Walter:
I would have them restored to their original condition and use them as singles. What's the original hydro date? These sound like classics.

Tank I had inspected reads:
U.S. Divers ICC3AA2250
USD
5C60+

Tank that hasn't been tested yet:
U.S. Divers ICC-3AA2250
A-417
USD
2<60+

Tom

I've got a pair of older ST72's (probably about that vintage). One had one retest stamped on it, the other had never been re-tested. Both full of air when I got them. They had J valves and the biggest concern the LDS had with the valves is they had on old style burst disk, that if the disk vented the air in a single (and sizable) stream that would likely move the cylinder around (he had pictures of the aftermath from a similar one having let go). Not having been used in years we factored in the cost to rebuild, replaced the burst disk (if he could find one to fit) and for very little more I got new K valves for them. (BTW, the long rods for the valves were not there, so moving them if they got switched to reserve, would mean finding it behind your head, whcih I wasn;t all that keen on either, he never mentioned the reserve could be dis-abled. All said and done, I picked the cylinders up cheap, valve, hydo & fill and for less than a new AL80 I had 2 LP72's ready to go. Freaks out the occasional buddy (where do they get cards?), when we discuss the dive plan, gas management and they see I've ONLY got 2250 PSIG. That's usually the first clue that I need to pay closer attention to my buddy.

"Hey - those tanks are older than I am "

Yes, and I have tanks and regulators older than them, but they are still classics. I'd get that valve restored and dive it as a single. That's a great find.

The advent of the SPG made diving safer and it became all the rage to replace "J" valves or disable them. Although I did disable mine, I never really understood why this made sense. Combined with an SPG, the "worst case" scenario is that you end up with a smidge of extra air that you weren't counting on. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have been so quick to disable those valves.

By the way, in hydro and VIP'd, you should be able to use the tanks for any dive. I think you're doing the smart thing by easing back into things but age alone doesn't mean that they're no good.

Remember that, all you born-after-1960 whippersnappers. :wink:

reefraff:
The advent of the SPG made diving safer and it became all the rage to replace "J" valves or disable them. Although I did disable mine, I never really understood why this made sense. Combined with an SPG, the "worst case" scenario is that you end up with a smidge of extra air that you weren't counting on.
No, the worst case scenario is that your SPG will show you still have some gas, but the J valve prevents it from being breathable if it is in the wrong position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom