DUI pricing itself out of the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
DUI is indisputably one of the best makers of drysuits. However, I am beginning to wonder if its reputation is beginning to keep it from being competative. In the last few years several companies are beginning to produce high quality drysuits for a lot less. One only has to look at the new Pinnicles Evolution 2 or the Bare XCD2 to see very competitive suits. Many of the additional accessories like pockets come stock with many of these suits.

I currently dive a DUI CLX450 that I am quite happy with, but have had to send it back for a few accessories at a time. A friend bought a 50/50 fully loaded for $3500. Her husband is getting a Pinnicales Evolution 2 with all the same accessories for $1500. Of course the DUI is higher quality and the maxim that you get what you pay for is often true, but a $2000 difference?

Thougts?

renpirate:
DUI is indisputably one of the best makers of drysuits. However, I am beginning to wonder if its reputation is beginning to keep it from being competative. In the last few years several companies are beginning to produce high quality drysuits for a lot less. One only has to look at the new Pinnicles Evolution 2 or the Bare XCD2 to see very competitive suits. Many of the additional accessories like pockets come stock with many of these suits.

I currently dive a DUI CLX450 that I am quite happy with, but have had to send it back for a few accessories at a time. A friend bought a 50/50 fully loaded for $3500. Her husband is getting a Pinnicales Evolution 2 with all the same accessories for $1500. Of course the DUI is higher quality and the maxim that you get what you pay for is often true, but a $2000 difference?

Thougts?

Let someone else pay the inflated retail price and depreciation. If you're a stock size or close to a stock size, get your DS off of eBay or from a private party seller here or on TDS.

A DS isn't rocket science - its a people shaped bag with a neck seal, a couple of wrist seals and a zipper.

To pay two-grand for a drysuit is just silly. No suit is worth it.

The best news is once a DUI hits the secondary market, it holds its value.

DUI Dry Suits I've paid $700 I've flipped for $1100 a week later. Many times.

I hope they hardline their prices and don't ever dilute their premium brand status. Its very good for me.

---
Ken

I think DUI is a good product, but not worth the cost relative to what you get. Most buddies I know with DUI are DM's or instructors that got the shop rate. In fact, they all say they would never pay retail for the suit. One of my buddies has a $2500 retail crushed neoprene suit.

I dive the O'Neill 7mm neoprene drysuit and I would buy another. I paid $750 for mine brand new back in 2000. I replaced the zipper two years ago for $150. I have had to do some home repairs with aquaseal now and then, but this thing has been a work horse. You can buy the same suit now for $500 brand new. The $2000 suits are nicer for sure. They are DEFINITELY not $1500+ nicer.

--Matt

Since almost everybody I know (except me) either dives a DUI suit or wants one, I think they're still doing okay.

There are some companies making VERY nice suits at much better prices, IF you are a stock size. Unfortunately, I'm not anybody's stock size :(

TSandM:
Since almost everybody I know (except me) either dives a DUI suit or wants one, I think they're still doing okay.

There are some companies making VERY nice suits at much better prices, IF you are a stock size. Unfortunately, I'm not anybody's stock size :(

You've heard of the DUI Cave Cut?

There is a new cut for 2007, I just learned of.

Its the Smurf Cut.

I'm confident there will soon be a DUI stock size for you, dear Doctor.

I see a CLX450, Extra Smurfy in your near future. :10:

---
Ken

TSandM:

My buddy is getting a custom sized Evolution 2. However, I don't know if they come in smurf purple:confused:

renpirate:
DUI pricing itself out of the market? [snip]

Thougts?

The USCG must have thought so. They've used DUI suits but USIA just won the contract to replace all the Coast Guards drysuits.

BTW... other suits are high priced also. But Mo2vation is right. A drysuit isn't rocket science. They are way overpriced for what they are.

mike_s:
The USCG must have thought so. They've used DUI suits but USIA just won the contract to replace all the Coast Guards drysuits.

BTW... other suits are high priced also. But Mo2vation is right. A drysuit isn't rocket science. They are way overpriced for what they are.

Yeah, I am buying drysuits for my fire department and probably won't go with DUI either.

I have had a handful of great dives (and one entire trip) saved by having a spare ZIP neck or wrist seal with me. That is worth a lot to me!

Yes, I could afford to buy 2 entire economy suits for the price of my DUI w/ ZIPS and a set of spares, but then I would have to pack that suit along with me as well.

My DUI practically looks like new after many hundreds of dives, including much abuse from caves, wrecks, and climbs. And unfortunately, the dive shop with which I am affiliated is not a DUI dealer, so I paid near MSRP for my suit.

Still, it is not always the one I recommend to other divers. The suit is much better than needed for someone who wants to make a few occasional easy dives in cold water.

theskull

This response is not meant to degrade DUI suits, but simply is my experience with their products.

Four years ago I had the opportunity to purchase one of their suits at the "professional discount". I also had the opportunity to purchase a Viking Xtreme at a very low price. Well, the DUI needed a custom sizing due to my 6'3", 190 lbs. frame. The Viking standard (not wide) 04 fit me like a custom, so I decided to go with the Viking just to see how it held up. My previous suit was a Northern Divers, which had also served me very well.

Now, four years later, and after many dives I am impressed to say the least. The Viking still wears its original wrist and neck seals, and they look no worse for the wear. Two of my main dive buddies bought their DUI suits within a month of the same time. They have logged no more, (and probably less) dives on their suits than I have on the Viking. So far, each of their suits has had every seal replaced, and both suits have been returned to the factory for persistent leaks that have occured in seams. One of the suits still leaked after its first trip to the factory.

My Viking has been repaired one time, and that was a fairly simple procedure for me to undertake using the factory supplied repair kit. I cut the suit on a sharp piece of metal while wreck diving, so the fault was totally mine.

This is not meant to declare that the Viking is a superior product. DUI makes a great suit, but they are pricey. My two dive buddies are instructors, one is a pretty well known course director, so they both purchased the suits at the discounted price. Both of them privately have disclosed to me that they would likely not have purchased the suits if they had to pay suggested retail.

Yes, DUI makes a fine product, but there are a number of other brands that produce fine suits. Dry suit divers have never had it so good. As far as my buying goes, it would be tough for me to not consider another Viking in the future.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom