DUI Flex Extreme P-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually see it on the left side. Not sure if there’s a reason for it. But in everyone of my suits, that’s where it went. I’m guessing easier to get to for a right handed person. Unfortunately, my arm has a hard time reaching below my knee to unscrew the bolt. Bwuahauahahah, lol :)

A tailor when measuring a gentleman for a bespoke suit, would ask “What side do you lay?”. Although a dry suit is not tailored to such a degree, there is a sense in what side you are most comfortable. Then you should consider the most comfortable routing of the tubing through the undergarments to the valve on the inside of the thigh. When considering this, keep in mind how tight you normally wear your dry suit (buoyancy control). A quick connection valve between the tubing and the catheter does add convenience to donning and doffing the suit.

Many P-valves (such as the Halcyon) can be left open during diving. It is only necessary to close the valve if there were a malfunction during a dive. If this were the case, which hand is easier to use? The question of whether you are right or left handed is unlikely to be an issue and is less important than comfort. It also depends on your configuration. If slinging two stages or bailout cylinders on the left side, it may be easier to use the right hand to reach the P-valve. Either hand can reach the valve irrespective of which inner thigh it is fitted.

I am naturally left-handed but have no problem using my right hand to turn the valve on or off if this was necessary. My preference is for the valve to be left open and I have not found this to be a problem. Other valves may operate differently, and so it is important to read the user instructions. If using a P-valve in a Fusion suit that is fitted only in the inner “bag”, the outer Lycra/neoprene skin makes it tricky to turn the Halcyon valve on or off – so it is best kept on during a dive. On a trilaminate suit, there is no problem. I have no experience of neoprene suits but cannot see why there should be a difference between them and a trilaminate suit in terms of valve operation.

One last point, hygiene is important. After use, it is important that the valve, tubing and quick connect fitting is cleaned using disinfectant to prevent urinary infection. This is best achieved using a squeeze bottle or syringe to flush water and disinfectant through the assembly.

Pee valve on left......................so you donate your long hose with your right hand?

It all depends on which way your dingy dangles. If it's straight you can go either way. If not you don't want to bend your pretzel so keep it to thay side.

Whichever you prefer. Mine is on the right simply because I prefer it there. There is no "standard" side.

Back
Top Bottom