DUI dry gloves or others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac:
Yes, it is simular in design. You will not need a tool to pop the gloves on or off. I found a spray bottle with a soapy solution make the task of installing them fast and simple by hand. Taking them off after a dive is quick and easy if you so desire. The cuff rings on the suit are soft and the hard rings tuck up inside. With practice you can pop them off in seconds with little effort with your gloved hand.

With these can I still have them attached all times to the suit!!! Or you have to take them off after everydive? What i mean is is the gloves always attached to the suit?

piikki:
Ken, are you in San Diego, dork? Do you have glove workshops for zip-converts? :D

I'm in SoCal - which, as everyone knows runs from Santa Barbara south to about the 605. I'm on the fashionable westside - in the Playa / Marina del Rey / Loyola area. So no, I'm not an SD Dork. I'm a SoCal dork.

San Diego is LowCal - essentially Dana Point-ish / Oceanside-ish to the border.

That foul place in between (south of the 605 to North County SD) is OCal...

The DUI SI gloves are just the Si-Tech gloves, I believe. Longer hard rings on the suit side, screw on gloves with a star ring system. Really not at all like the Diving Concepts gloves. The only feature they share are they are removable (read: don suit barehanded) and they both use the Atlas Blue gloves.

Apart from that, they are very, very different:

Si Tech gloves have long, intrusive hard rings on the suit-side. The DC glove suit-side rings are much shorter and less intrusive. In their defense, the Si Tech gloves are pretty easy to install on your latex seals.

Si Tech gloves cannot be retro-fitted onto existing DUI Zip Seals. Meaning, if you have DUI Zip Seals at present on your suit, I don't believe there is any way to fit the Si Tech glove system onto them, and still have a wrist seal. I've never seen it successfully done. If someone has, please post pics. There are many of us who have installed DC gloves on our Zip Seals.

Si Tech glove system use a large star ring on the glove-side and you twist it to fasten them. The DC gloves-side rings are much smaller. The Si Tech gloves are, however, much easier to change out.

the DC gloves use standard, easily available Orings. I got 50 for about $14 from McMaster Carr - so all my homies and I have a fine supply of back up Orings. The Si Tech bands are not off the shelf and not nearly as cheap or available.

There are plusses on both sides of the table.

I wanted low profile gloves that would fit on a drysuit that already had DUI Zip seals on it. I wanted to be able to have wrist seals under the gloves. I wanted to be able to change out the gloves myself. The system that I found worked best for me was the DC system.

---
Ken

aboalreem:
With these can I still have them attached all times to the suit!!! Or you have to take them off after everydive? What i mean is is the gloves always attached to the suit?

Yep, I very rarely take them apart. In fact my current pair has about 150 dives and have never been off.

Mo2vation:
I'm in SoCal - which, as everyone knows runs from Santa Barbara south to about the 605. I'm on the fashionable westside - in the Playa / Marina del Rey / Loyola area. So no, I'm not an SD Dork. I'm a SoCal dork.

Oh my, that is more Cal-ed than I can take in in one go... I will have to post further questions in the appropriate forum... How Low will I have to go...

Mo2vation:
The DUI SI gloves are just the Si-Tech gloves, I believe. Longer hard rings on the suit side, screw on gloves with a star ring system. Ken

Not any I have seen. DUI's have the soft cuff rings with the hard glove ring, no o-rings, and no twisting to put on or off. The glove or wrist seal slide over the hard ring and the whole assembly pops into place.

I could post picts if necessary

tedwhiteva:
DUI also sells the SITEK system - adds on to latex seals while keeping seal intact. Got those with my DUI suit and love them. The wrist rings are EASILY removable for long term storage or in warmer waters.

I use the Sitech too -- saved my butt a few weeks ago (warmth-wise) a couple of weeks ago in Seattle in 46F water (although some hardy people were diving wetsuits!!)

I only have 8 or so dives on them so cant comment on how they stand up over time.
the rings are a bit snug for my wrists though (but they go on fine) and are a little bulky with the harness, but not unworkable.

i can easily get both gloves on and off.

Mo2vation:

Si Tech glove system use a large star ring on the glove-side and you twist it to fasten them. The DC gloves-side rings are much smaller. The Si Tech gloves are, however, much easier to change out.
Ken

My Si-tech are push on, twist off -- not sure if there are different kinds that work the other way though.

Another alternative option is OS System ring system. It is a simple application, but no good for a bigger hand....:wink:

limeyx:
My Si-tech are push on, twist off -- not sure if there are different kinds that work the other way though.
Hmmm... thought they were twist on. My bad. What's the deal with the big star ring if they're just push on? Is it so they can be changed easier?

Mo2vation:
The DUI SI gloves are just the Si-Tech gloves, I believe. Longer hard rings on the suit side, screw on gloves with a star ring system. Ken

hallmac:
Not any I have seen. DUI's have the soft cuff rings with the hard glove ring, no o-rings, and no twisting to put on or off. The glove or wrist seal slide over the hard ring and the whole assembly pops into place.

I could post picts if necessary

Please do - I could be all wet (!) I know the original DUI replaceable gloves (the pre-Zip Glove ones form 4+ years ago) were based on a rubber ring friction system. The Glove system on their site today (http://www.dui-online.com/acc_gloves.htm) are the Si-tech gloves - very different from the original DUI SI-5 system.

From the current DUI site
76704707.B3RHQz35.acc_gloves.jpg

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom