DUI Demo Days at Beaver Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know exactly where the DUI site (tents, etc) is going to be? North of the road you turn west off of 187 to go to the Dam Site Bluffs, or right on the water, or where? Also, C&J Sports is hosting a scuba/beach clean up in the same area (east of the Bluffs) at the same time of the DUI event. Thus, I imaging viz in the area is going to be very low from all the divers in the same area. Oh well, what's new? We are Mid-West MUCK Divers, after all.

Wkndbum:
If we don't meet up on Sat then we could get together Sat night @ the BBQ.
OR, meet about 8am to 8:30am Sun @ the picnic tables/shelters by the parking lot
just to the North of the DUI site (north of the Dam)

Either one of those would be fine with me. Not sure how we'd make ourselves "noticed" at the BBQ, though....:06:

kbrown4ou:
Anyone know exactly where the DUI site (tents, etc) is going to be? North of the road you turn west off of 187 to go to the Dam Site Bluffs, or right on the water, or where? Also, C&J Sports is hosting a scuba/beach clean up in the same area (east of the Bluffs) at the same time of the DUI event. Thus, I imaging viz in the area is going to be very low from all the divers in the same area. Oh well, what's new? We are Mid-West MUCK Divers, after all.

The DUI site is right on the North end of the Dam. If you can find the dam you will see the tents.

Terry

Firecracker:
Either one of those would be fine with me. Not sure how we'd make ourselves "noticed" at the BBQ, though....:06:

I'll be wearing a RED Nebraska hat. I drive a Red Avalanche with "WKNDBUM" plates.

Terry

I'll have a red shirt on I think, depends on temps. But I will have a Red hat on that's one of those C.A.P. hats they had a couple years back for the drug demand reduction program. Wing CC snagged one for me. If I don't have the hat on look for the guy with the sunlight glinting off his head! I will try to call each of you once I'm there.

I'll be driving a blue 98 Taurus and if I'm not diving chances are there might be a 3 year old girl with me, and my wife of course.

Well, I haven't really decided what I'd be wearing...LOL Look for a redheaded guy with a Tony Stewart nascar hat. That'll probably be me :)

I will be in a Green Nissan Titan though, can't change that! LOL

Hey Matt, it was good to meet you (and the family). Sorry I couldn't join you guys for that Sunday morning dive. We ended up heading home earlier than we had anticipated.

So, now you can say you've dove the DUI, huh? LOL You still prefer your Viking, too! LOL

I know what you mean, I dove their insulation and one of there Wings.....:( Absolutely HATED it! Couldnt get my trim right for anything! The next dive I went back to my ole polypro and MY BC. MUCH BETTER!

Had a good time, it was the first time i've dove Beaver Lake.

Anyway....good to see ya in person (oh yeah, we finally found that dinner.....LOL)

I still prefer the Viking, no question about it. However, there are 2 things I did like about DUI. The hat we got for diving is nice and the rock boots are way superior to my Viking's boots as far as fit and feel go. I've heard they tend to wear out the inner boot by rubbing against the rock boot but that may be a fit issue.

I did think the DUI TLS350 and also the TLSSE to be more flexible than my Viking Sport for what it's worth. I also learned that my Viking Thinsulate works well when wet too, first time I've been soaked diving a drysuit so I've never had to put it to the test. The DUI guys ribbed me about my Viking insulation, but as it turns out I had the last laugh because it was that insulation that kept me comfy when their suit flooded. To be fair I'd say it wasn't the suits fault per se, more likely it's a combination of being a demo suit that's man handled and bad luck to have two in a row leak. I noticed many of the divers there abusing the suits, few knew how to don a latex seal and if they do that commonly it's understandable why they tear so often. In fact Terry's suit he dove come back with a large tear in the neck seal, and I'd bet it was all in how they put it on. One of the volunteers was showing people to use their hands to spread the latex seal on the head when they put it on, but didn't know why he was telling them that. He didn't mention anything about how to remove it. So you can see why I think the demo suits get abused a lot during the rally and any leaks are just the result of that.

Our dive Sunday was nice, got down a little deeper and saw the sailboat. Took some pics and when I get the time I'll develop the negs and print a contact sheet to choose which ones I'll enlarge. I'm thinking I'll do that today once I finish putting things away and make time for the darkroom.

For those I didn't meet we'll have to try it again later, maybe TableRock. We've got Project Aware coming up in a few months at the very least. I'll be down there again anyways in a month or so.

I would have loved to check that event out, perhaps next year eh.

I will finish my OW cert up this weekend @ Stockton or drown trying! Id love to check out a drysuit soon though. If you guys have any diving coming up after that be sure to post it. As I dont really know anyone I need to find people to dive with. Matt we've passed some PM's about that and I look forward to diving with you as soon as I can.

I think its gonna rain this weekend.... hmmm

-Josh

In a way I don't mind. If it's not raining I've got a CAP practice SAR to attend, if it's raining I've got chores. Life marches on.

Sunday if it's not lightning I'll probably be diving Eugene, unless it's a heavy rain or my reg doesn't get fixed. I turned it in for it's yearly overhaul and it should be ready to go by the weekend. I feel naked with it gone from home...

Back
Top Bottom