DUI 30/30 experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Planning a potential liveaboard vacation, and the idea of getting in and out of a cold, damp wetsuit upwards of 30 times in a week has got me considering a "tropical" dry suit.

Now, I dive in NJ in April when the water is <40deg, so I'm not afraid of getting cold. But after becoming a confirmed "Dry Diver" I'm considering all my options!

Appreciate any insights or input folks might have on this one - especially specific experience that folks have had. (Locations, temps, etc.)

Thanks in advance - Ray

Ray, I am going to Bonaire in December and I am pretty certain I will be in a 30/30 for that trip. I do 4-5 dives a day and I never understood why I was soo darn tired towards the end of the day...the dives are relaxing. I never once thought it was that my body was chilled...
Like you mentioned, putting that wetsuit on time after time is just not right...especially towards the end of the week. We could go with the Henderson Inst-Dry, but why should we? Like you I dive cold water in thick undergarments...so what is wrong with a slimmer 30/30 and a thin stretchliner undergarment...I think the weight is about a 100.
I'm sure we may get some remarks about it....like its so warm what do you need a drysuit for, but at the end of the day when you doff your drysuit and you're just as warm as when you started the day and everyone else runs for the hot showers...that's what it's all about.
I'm right there with you!!

Anyone have one of these or knows somebody? I've looking for reviews all over the place....I want first hand knowledge...

I'll be your friend...

Bonaire
Take 2 or 3 dive skins and maybe a 3mm wetsuit, a chamois leather towel and a fleece poncho or equivalent for the boat ride back from the dive sites.
With a dive skin I need about 6 to 8lbs of lead, what a fantastic way to dive. They take about 30mins to dry as long as they are outside in the sun.
The only time I noticed the cold was the speedboat rides after the dive when I was wet.

edit, I just looked up the price of a Dui 30/30 > $1,100 !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After doing some Tropical Deep Tech/Wreck Diving with long Deco Stops, even I start to get chilled in 80 degF water . . .I'm looking at a potential DUI 30/30 purchase as well.

Victor, I've been to Bonaire 6 times, I know what's its like. And that is the retail price of a 30/30.... not everyone pays retail. :wink:

Thanks Narcosis, I will do that.

J

jepuskar:
Ray, I am going to Bonaire in December and I am pretty certain I will be in a 30/30 for that trip. I do 4-5 dives a day and I never understood why I was soo darn tired towards the end of the day...the dives are relaxing. I never once thought it was that my body was chilled...
Like you mentioned, putting that wetsuit on time after time is just not right...especially towards the end of the week. We could go with the Henderson Inst-Dry, but why should we? Like you I dive cold water in thick undergarments...so what is wrong with a slimmer 30/30 and a thin stretchliner undergarment...I think the weight is about a 100.
I'm sure we may get some remarks about it....like its so warm what do you need a drysuit for, but at the end of the day when you doff your drysuit and you're just as warm as when you started the day and everyone else runs for the hot showers...that's what it's all about.
I'm right there with you!!
With that amount of diving on Bonaire. Book a NL NITROX package and you will be way less tired!
Drysuit in that climate will be very uncomforatble at the surface. You will be soaking wet from sweat. Take a 5 or 7mm jumpsuit with "titanium" on the inside. This will make it easier to put the suit on and off. Or do like I do. Soak the suit before you put its on.

Lived and worked on Bonaire for almost 5 years.

If you're a drysuit diver, get one, you won't regret it.

My choice is the White's Tropical Drysuit. Take a look at one before you buy; there's a world of difference in construction quality, and the flex panels make it feel as easy moving as a thin wetsuit. It's less expensive, too.

All the best, James

I can see Kevrumbo point of view.
At the end of a long deep dive hanging around on a deco stop where inactivity is the order of the day then my dive skin might be a little light.
But giving up the freedom of diving with so little lead will be difficult.

Re prices, In the UK the cost have come down compared to America but can still be more expensive. I no longer make regular trips to the USA so I cannot buy there.

I intend to get a backpack and wing and that may change things. Diving steel tanks and an aluminium BP I might not need any lead at all with the skin.

Hopefully I will get the chance to become adapted to warm water conditions where I start to feel the cold when the water temp is in the high 70's and low 80's.
:thinkingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom