Duh... where do some people get their brains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostdiver1957:
I'm glad I can humor you all... I was waiting for some angry replies that didn't think it was funny... life is still good : ) when you can make it so...
I think all qualified divers realise that if they've ever rented or borrowed gear that's not exclusively theirs, they know the gear has been 'dirtied' in some way.

Mask - someone's spit in it, probably some snot been in there too
regulator/snorkel/orally inflated a bcd - someone's mouth was there before yours
fins/booties - someone put their dirty smelly feet in there
wetsuit - quite likely there has been at least a tiny bit of someone elses urine in the suit

ghostdiver1957:
OK, here's a story I thought you'd enjoy.

Student comes up to me at the pool and says the DM just spit in my mask. I asked the student why the DM spit in her mask and she said to get the fog out. She went on to say she was not going to use the mask that he spit in. I asked her if the spit got the fog out and she looked at it and said - looks like it. So i said well here, you use my mask and I'll use yours for the rest of the class. She happily agreed.

At the end of the class she comes over to give me my mask back and says - wow, that's an awesome mask, how does it stay so clear... it didn't fog up once.

Well I said, I've been spittin' in it for years

Sounds like a blonde joke!

Fish_Whisperer:
Well, I posted this before, but might as well tell the story again:

I'd been going over every weekend, to the Rec Center pool and practicing various skills. One of the dive masters from my OW and AOW classes is a lifeguard there. At a joke shop, I bought a rather large and very real-looking plastic turd, which I placed in my BC pocket. I finned over to where she was sitting and set Mr. Turd free. It bobbed to the surface. I surfaced soon after, to see her wearing this look of horrified consternation. I quickly grabbed the turd and said, "Whoops!! Sorry about that!" and put it back in my pocket. She looked even more horrified. I burst out laughing and after a couple of seconds, so did she. :D

Are you related to Carl Spackler?

Here is my problem:

I read this post yesterday and laughed along with everybody else. When Grateful Diver mentioned "smuggling nudibranchs" he titled a mental picture I had before I read his post and I had to stop and concentrate on swallowing the coffee I had just sipped, avoiding the high pressure, caffeine re-decoration of my computer screen.

It's probable that this thread will not be visited again so I post this with no intention of de-clawing the humor here. I just find the idea of getting a strangers saliva near my face rather disgusting and potentially dangerous from an infectious disease point of view.

:11doh: God, I'm a buzzkill! I identified more with the student who didn't realize that learning to dive meant getting so close to a strangers fluids than the instructor that hawked one on their face gear. :icon10: I know it's just me that doesn't care to expose myself to whatever contagion the person before me was exposed to but I find that for health reasons it's best to avoid that contact.

As for residual wetsuit pee? Minimal risk here. Suits aren't designed to absorb fluids, urine is fairly benign and rinses away very easily. In my case I never rented a wetsuit, I bought one from the git go. I noticed dive ops sanitizing mouth pieces in the gear shack when I used to rent and just assumed that was what everyone did. Even when I didn't notice it I saw it often enough that I assumed it was SOP.

Fair and balanced and under the sub-forum "Basic Scuba Discussions" this ends my little rant post on "Duh...where do people get their brains?" Just do me a favor and don't sneeze, cough or spit on me and we'll allllllllllll get along just fine.:05:

Sea ya!

Sanitizing things is for appearance. Didn't you then get in a pool and swap regulators with people underwater? If you didn't, then you missed a major skill that all agencies teach - air sharing... and believe me, those regs were just in someone elses mouth... lets think people - lets think...

There have been times when I wanted to swap spit with my dive master...I wish I had thought of the out of air idea....

In Belize I was laying down in between and my dive master put a dead sardine on my chest. I squealed and literally launched/flipped myself up so loudly 3 docks in either direction stopped what they were doing and joined my father and dive master in laughing hysterically....the groupers wouldn't leave me alone during the second dive EITHER!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom